ACT Student Search/ College recruitment

Started by mwitiiram
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mwitiiram

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When taking ACT, I selected the option for colleges and universities to view my scores. For the past two years or so, I've been getting letters inviting me to go to their website, visit campus for this day or something of the sort. This year, they have started sending me applications and scholarship information. The other day, Harvard sent me their supplement to Common App. Princeton sent me an e-mail too. Even the likes of Columbia! I firmly believe that I am not of the academic caliber to be admitted to any of these schools. (3.5GPA, 29 ACT, black, from south) So my question really is, when colleges send you material like application and scholarship material, are they genuinely interested in you or is it some independent service that does all the mailing and the colleges have no idea whom they've sent stuff to?
 
They are not necessarily interested in you. Sometimes they are interested in the collection of application fees. 🙁

But, hey! It feels good to know you got a letter from Harvard!

You really have to judge for yourself whether your application would give you a chance at some of the places that you receive all these invitations from.
 
You really have to judge for yourself whether your application would give you a chance at some of the places that you receive all these invitations from.

Agreed. Sometimes the schools also want a lot of applicants so that they can reject more than other schools and become more 'selective', therefore giving them a higher ranking.

But if you think you have a shot at the schools sending you these letters, don't get discouraged!
 
I would feel at least a little happy youre hearing from schools I had a 3.8/ 31 in HS and didn't hear **** from po-dunk university.