ACT vs. PCAT?

Started by Chemicals
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Chemicals

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was thinking about the PCAT which i have not taken yet....

And then I realized that to get a decent score on the PCAT (80 or higher) you have to do better than 80 percent of prospective pharmacy students.....

Thats seems scary to me considering when I took the ACT I only got around 70 percentile and that was against just other high school students :scared::scared:

Although I did not work as hard back then...

My question is...Do you have to be exceptionally smart to get a good score on the PCAT? For those who scored well on the PCAT, how did you score on the ACT? would does the percentile system compare?

Im hoping 50%+ of the people who take the PCAT are just highschool kids or something :laugh:
 
I would think that the majority of the people who are taking the PCAT would be people who scored higher on the ACT as well. Now your "competing" against people who are a little more focused on getting good grades and scores. This would make obtaining a high score based on percentile a little more challenging.
I know this isn't always the case, but think about the 70 you got on the ACT and where would you be if you were only competing against the top 50 now? This should be more indicative of the people who you are being scored against on the PCAT.
 
I never took the ACT but scored high on my PCAT (albeit on the second attempt). I've always wanted to take the ACT now to see if I could score really high on it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was thinking about the PCAT which i have not taken yet....

And then I realized that to get a decent score on the PCAT (80 or higher) you have to do better than 80 percent of prospective pharmacy students.....

Thats seems scary to me considering when I took the ACT I only got around 70 percentile and that was against just other high school students :scared::scared:

Although I did not work as hard back then...

My question is...Do you have to be exceptionally smart to get a good score on the PCAT? For those who scored well on the PCAT, how did you score on the ACT? would does the percentile system compare?

Im hoping 50%+ of the people who take the PCAT are just highschool kids or something :laugh:

I would say that the number of high school students taking the PCAT is 0%😀 Mainly because that most 0-6 programs that accept high school students do not require the PCAT. The majority of people taking the PCAT are people with degrees or with 2+ years of college already under their belt. In fact its not even recommended to take the PCAT without Bio I and II, Calculus I, Chemistry I and II, Organic Chemistry I and II, etc...so imagine the work and effort it takes to score high on a percentile system against such a talented group of individuals. Yes, you either need to be really prepared or intelligent....or extremely lucky to score well on the PCAT. Although miracles can happen, I managed an 87% composite without Organic I and II, Calculus I, or Biology II, so sometimes you just have to know yourself. However, I have always tended to do well on percentile based test throughout my life, i guess I just have a knack for guessing the correct answer when I do not know the answer=P Now i will give you a big tip, which a lot of people screw up with...never leave a question blank, and make sure to time it so you answer every question. Do NOT waist time on a particular question, if you do not know it, pick the best answer, and move the f*ck on.

People who tend to score low (who studied, and prepared) most likely waisted time on the harder questions thereby leaving unanswered questions(and possibly unanswered easy questions) which caused them to miss easy points. Or while waisting time on the hard questions, they started getting frustrated thereby just throwing off the rest of their test.

Even without taking most of the subjects for the PCAT, I prepared myself by doing the review test and studying kaplan's book. But, come test day, i made sure to get plenty of rest the night before, get to the test site early, and I made sure to answer every single question, and did not allow myself to get stuck on a problem i did not know. So, I never got frustrated and although the test is mentally draining itself, I was happy that I did not allow myself to get frazzled. So...mostly its all about preparing yourself mentally for the test.

No matter what do not go in unprepared.
 
In fact its not even recommended to take the PCAT without Bio I and II, Calculus I, Chemistry I and II, Organic Chemistry I and II, etc...so imagine the work and effort it takes to score high on a percentile system against such a talented group of individuals. Yes, you either need to be really prepared or intelligent....or extremely lucky to score well on the PCAT.
I really don't think Bio II is necessary for the PCAT at all. I've never taken it and I scored in the 94th percentile (twice!) on bio section of the PCAT without studying. That said, I'd taken A&P I and II as well as microbiology, all of which helped immensely (and would likely be much more relevant for the PCAT than Bio II). 👍