Action Potential Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

methylethyl88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Action-potential.jpg

For an action potential, what is last half of the refractory period (between t=3.5 to 5) referred to as? This is the part after the membrane hyperpolarizes and is going back to RMP.

My physiology book refers to it as depolarization but TBR refers to it as repolarization.

Members don't see this ad.

Action-potential.jpg

For an action potential, what is last half of the refractory period (between t=3.5 to 5) referred to as? This is the part after the membrane hyperpolarizes and is going back to RMP.

My physiology book refers to it as depolarization but TBR refers to it as repolarization.

From what I have learned, that is hyperpolarization (t= 3-5s) since it "goes more negative than RMP, resting membrane potential".

t=1.2-3s is absolute refractory period
t=3-5s is relative refractory period.

I guess at 3.5 it could loosely be called repolarization, since it is returning to RMP, just from a different direction than what is normally thought of as repolarization.

I can't think of how it could be justified as depolarization, unless it continued to increase positively and not stop at the RMP.

MCAT probably will not be that specific :)