Activities during a gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheKMan1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers, wondering if someone could offer some insight here. I'm applying to a wide range of schools, however many are top-30. I took the MCAT last month and I'm expecting a score in the mid-30s. I have a 4.0 GPA from Wisconsin. I did research for 2.5 years in undergrad and had one publication. After graduating I took 3 months to perform wildlife research overseas (mostly to see if that was something I would want to pursue further-it wasn't.) I returned and began working as a medical scribe in an ED part time and I've been supplementing my income with a part time job at a hotel. I have also been volunteering at a local free clinic a few times per month.

Does it look bad that I haven't pursued medical research opportunities since returning from overseas? Most of my free time has been spent studying for the MCAT and filling out AMCAS apps, but many of the schools that I'm applying to are highly research-oriented. There is an opportunity for me to take on a research project for the next 6 months, however I'm kind of looking to enjoy my free time a bit before med school

Thanks for your input! And sorry for the lengthy lead-up to the question.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, your past research experience and great stats should certainly qualify you for the top-30 schools. I think my advice to you about taking advantage of the research opportunity will depend on how you presented yourself in you application.

Did you spend a lot of time talking about how critical research is to your current interests and your future aspirations? Did you express a very strong interest in doing research throughout medical school and later as a physician? If that's the case, I would encourage you to continue researching. I wouldn't take on a project you aren't interested in, but you ought to try to continue doing what you build your application around. As an example, if you would have claimed that a certain volunteering experience has been life changing and incredibly gratifying, as an imaginary adcom I would wonder why you dropped that activity you were supposed to be passionate about.

If your stance on research is that you think you have learned a lot and you are generally interested in researching but it's not a priority for you, I would say should you take advantage of your time off and have fun!

Thanks for the input, kyamh. In my essays i have represented myself as someone who is interested in both research and clinical medicine. For instance, the Columbia secondary asks what sort of career I expect to pursue and my answer was "academic medicine." So, I think I do express a strong interest in research during and after medical school. I do enjoy research, but work is work. I'm just not ready to give up my limited months of freedom! Still trying to gauge the costs/benefits.