Acupuncture?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistdream

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys~
Well, I was thinking of learning about acupuncture. It's a 3yr course which it allows you to be a licensed acupuncturist after the 3yr program. And some of you might already know that the acupuncture treatments are good for dental pain (NIH approved), even though almost every dentists just prescribe Ibuferon(?) for their patients.

Well, do you think having a license in acupuncture will help me or better chance of getting into the dental school??? What do you think???

I am an Asian-American, so I swear by these eastern medicine. And not just for the dental pain, but I think knowing how to practice acupuncture will help me and my family greatly.

Any comments will be appreciated.
Thanks~

Members don't see this ad.

There are 1000s of better ways to increase your chances for acceptance. Becoming an Acupuncturist is not one of them.

Acupuncture school as with any professional school wants students that are dedicated to that profession. By becoming an Acup. and then applying to dental school more than likely will harm you. It could be misconstrued as a lack of true direction, motivation, and/or drive. A sort "of" immaturity if you will. And trying to explain the correlation between the two professions will be difficult. (Other than the small/tiny tie to pain management)

Want to be a dentist, immerse yourself into understanding the occupation. Volunteer at an office. Due research on dental caries or the biomechanics of occlusion. Practice your dexterity so you can provide incredible service with the least amount of pain. Get incredible grades, DAT, recommendations and then you'll be increasing your chances for dental school.

I'm not against Acupuncture or what it would do for your family----but taking it up to improve your chances for dental school is not a sound decision.

R.R.B

Oh, Ok Dr.2b.....
I really appreciate your honesty......
I guess you are right afterall, but I was just thinking of something that "stand-out" from others.......But obvisouly like you said, acupuncture has nothing to do with the dentistry.....
Thank you again...
Bye

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, one more thing, Dr.2b.

Don't you think practicing acupuncture will help me if not hurt, with the dexterity in dentistry?

Because I was really thinking of telling the Dean of Admission during the interview that I have a license in acupuncture because it also will help me with the dexterity.....
I mean, you don't see ANY "correlation" between practicing acupuncture(inserting needles using your fingers) and dentistry?

This is very important to me, because it will have a conflict in my plan for the next 3 years if I decide not to pursue in acupuncture.....
Any additional advices will be appreciated..
Thanks again~

I'm a bit confused. Are you licensed? If you are then use it for what it is worth. But if you are not---definitely don't go tell a Dean that you are/are going to be an acupuncturist if you aren't at the time of your conversation.

I see some correlation but it is a huge stretch. Developing dexterity through Acup. is no different then gaining it through watch-making or putting screws in an object at an assembly plant!

I'm sorry to be blunt but setting yourself apart and being different can be done in better ways. (see previous posts) If you were an Acup. for 5 years tried the career and found out it wasn't for you--- then decided to pursue dentistry, it would look better. People make changes in life---but only after experience. To use Acup. as a stepping stone towards dental school makes little-to-no-sense.

You need to decide which career you are most interested in and go for it. Are you willing to spend 4 years in college, then 3 yrs in Acupuncture school-- in hopes to boost your chances for admission to another 4 years of dental school with an additional 2-3 years of specialty training for Orthodontics, Periodontics etc... So you have nearly 11yrs. min. and possibly 14 yrs max. of schooling. If you are out of college you still have min. of 7yrs to go. Now add in the tuition of school for both careers. Lets say $100,000 for dental school, plus interest and another $65,000 for Acupun. schooling, plus interest. On top of anything you accured in college. Add that all up with inflation and you have SIGNIFICANT debt. So you start your practice at age 30----take 10-15 yrs to pay off your debt completely. You want to have a family and kids----vactions, nice car, nice home, safe neighborhood so you decide not to pay max. towards your loans and now they are stretching 20 yrs. Right along with your 30 yr. mortage on your home. Wait where are you going to practice dentistry? Are you going to open up your own place? That is another $250,000!! Yikes. If you don't open your own practice you'll be working for someone else and normal pay is $90,000--$100,000. Which will barely cover your monthly loan payment let alone your living expenses. Kiss the vactions goodbye and time to watch "little jimmy" play sports. I think you get the pic. There are cheaper, better, and wiser ways to becoming a dentist.

Got to go---I have a dental anatomy test at 1pm.

R.R.B

Yeah~ you are right. I guess I haven't thought into the details, such as debts, time, etc.........

Dr.2b, ok~ well, I know you are not the dean of Admission, but here is my situation and can you please tell me what I should do?

I am a Senior(110 credits so far) majoring in Management Information System in George Mason Univ. in Virginia. The reason why I am majoring in MIS is that I thought it will help me alot when I open up my own dental practice later in my life.
Well, I haven't took any science requirements yet such as Chem, Org Chem, Phsyics, etc. And also, my GPA is only around 2.4 - 2.5. And I was just thinking of staying 3 more years(undergrad) to finish up those science requirements and also to raise my GPA to at least 3.0.....
So I will be staying in my undergrad school for 7 years......
And I was just thinking of going to the oriental medical school during those extra 3 years that I will be staying in my undergrad school, because the acupuncture school offers Part time(Night time) for working adults or for people like myself.

Well, have you met anybody stayed in undergrad school for 7 years? Because they didn't have they Science requirements or just to raise their GPA like myself?

What advise would you give me?

Thank you for your time again....
I hope you did good on your dental anatomy test.....bye

Honestly you have a sticky situation. Having no science courses under your belt with a 2.4-2.5 gpa is scary to say the least. Impossible---no, incredibly difficult----yes. To move your gpa to a 3.0 taking Organic chem, physics I and II, Biology, gen. chem is going to be brutal. They are (next to some engineering classes)----some of the most demanding courses at a university! They are complex, intensive, and time consuming courses. In fact they are known as weed-out courses. They are there to give you a science base---but also to weed-out kids who take one course and go----OH, HELL NO--

Here is my honest opinion: It is going to be an up-hill battle to dental school. That is the bad news. Good news--- If it is your true passion and you can't fathom of doing anything else in your life----it is nothing more than a challenge. I will guarantee that if it is not in your heart----you won't survive the pre-reqs let alone dental school. It is simply not worth the effort. You have some major thinking to do.

I also want to add some personal opinions :). First off because your almost done with college I won't bang on you to hard. Maybe what I'll say will help you in future choices. Getting an education in MIS so you can run a dental business is extremely suspect. Although it is a great degree and you learned a lot----what on earth does it have to do with running a dental business? I don't want to believe for a second that you sincerely set out for the degree solely for dentistry!

What you should do: First--- I'd graduate. Period. Then I would seek out a post-bacc. program and talk to the admission's director and tell them you chose the wrong major your heart belongs in science, but you like to finish what you start----hence a degree in MIS. I believe he/she'll agree MIS wasn't for you! If you get accepted------------great. Now here is the best advice I can give you. FOCUS my friend----FOCUS. You will be doing a 2 yr intensive program that is going to knock-your-socks-off. The classes will be all pre-reqs and will be preparing you for the DAT. Actually most programs are geared toward medicine but we have the same pre-reqs---so no big deal. Throw all the other IDEAS and DEGREES and CAREERS out the window. Firstly you won't have time for anything else and secondly you want to be a dentist-----right? You have to pull incredible grades here! 3.5+ gpa. You then have to knock-down the DAT 19's+. Only then can you prove that you are prepared for the demanding curriculum of dental school. And only then can you explain your previous low-marks. This will be a battle---but it can be done. If you can't find a post-bacc. talk to an advisor and find out the best route to follow.

Good luck,
R.R.B

Ok~ Dr.2b.
I exactly understand what you are saying.
I am going to give it a try and give my best in order for me to become a dentist. I only have one life and I don't feel like doing something that I have no interest(MIS).
Dr2b. I know you are busy with ur school, but thanks for all of your advices.
Thank you.

I'm just one person with one suggestion to follow. Since you are now in a postion to look for options---- I'd talk to whomever and get as many pointers as possible. I truly wish you the best. If you need any further opinions feel free to post.

R.R.B