Acyclovir Renal Adjustment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmalang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that the acyclovir renal adjustment recommendation is CrCl, but the units is mL/min/1.73m2? I'm wondering if they meant GFR? We tried calling one of the pharmaceutical companies just to learn more but they were unable to provide any information to us. Is there something I'm missing here?

Members don't see this ad.

For a good time, do ertapenem, Unasyn, and acyclovir calculations for an overweight patient with poor renal function. ?CG vs MDRD, ?actual vs adjusted body weight...I bet you get different numbers between even seasoned RPHs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
That unit of measure is CrCl normalized for BSA

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone noticed that the acyclovir renal adjustment recommendation is CrCl, but the units is mL/min/1.73m2? I'm wondering if they meant GFR? We tried calling one of the pharmaceutical companies just to learn more but they were unable to provide any information to us. Is there something I'm missing here?

You need to think about the difference between GFR and CrCl and ask yourself if it really matters.

You need to think about the difference between GFR and CrCl and ask yourself if it really matters.

I think it matters in some instances. Granted I am a new grad so of course unlike seasoned veterans, I'm more dependent on what I've learned than what I've seen. I had a patient being discharged on levofloxacin 750 daily. CrCl was ~40, GFR reported >60. Physician had no idea CrCl vs. GFR. We adjusted it to q48h. In some patients it does matter, and the difference can bring you to a difference dosing interval.

The reason I ask is because a physician was concerned we are overdosing acyclovir at our institution (one patient had ARF, although not 100% attributed to acyclovir).