AD MD Remote/humanitarian/other tours

Started by DD24
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DD24

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How easy/hard is it for active duty MDs to do remote tours, humanitarian tours, or other types that you may go for 3 mos to a year (or however long it would be) and to work in countries say in Africa/South America/etc? How long after you are on active duty are you allowed to do these? Would it be after residency as well?

Are these things you can do during a summer if you were an USUHS student or HPSP?

Thanks!
 
I know the Navy has alot of opportunities to do humanitarian missions. Getting them however, usually involves being at the right place at the right time. I'm not sure if explicitly requesting them is going to work. I know a few docs who went on the Mercy and Comfort doing humanitarian medical work. The Navy is big on what they call "soft" power now. I also know a doc from my base who went down to Haiti w/his squadron after the earthquake. My squadron personally has participated in "Continuing Promise" which involves some humanitarian assistance in South America and goes to Djibouti Africa every 18 months transporting food like wheat and rice to Djiboutians.