ada dat math help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faerielynx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
10 is to 2y as 25x is to which of the following?
5x 5xy 5x/y x/5y 5y/x
Mary took 9 minutes to walk 3/8 of a mile. At this rate, how many minutes will it take to walk the rest of the mile?
11 12 15 18 24
When each of the sides of a square is increased by 1 yard, the area of the new square is 53 square yards more than that of the original square. What is the length of the sides of the original square?
25 26 27 52 54
A painting which is 4 feet wide and 5 feet long is surronded by a rectangular frame 6 inches wide. What percent of the area of the picture and the frame is occupied by the frame?
10 1/2 20 30 33 1/3 50

Also is there a fast way to work out qestions like find the lowest
11/15 21/25 13/17
And why is this a permutation: Jill has six different books. In how many ways can Jill select two different books? I thought Permutation is when order matters and require specifics...

sorry for all the question:)

PS: you're right, I changed it... thanks for you help!

Members don't see this ad.

10 is to 2y as 25 is to which of the following?
5x 5xy 5x/y x/5y 5y/x
Mary took 9 minutes to walk 3/8 of a mile. At this rate, how many minutes will it take to walk the rest of the mile?
11 12 15 18 24
When each of the sides of a square is increased by 1 yard, the area of the new square is 53 square yards more than that of the original square. What is the length of the sides of the original square?
25 26 27 52 54
A painting which is 4 feet wide and 5 feet long is surronded by a rectangular frame 6 inches wide. What percent of the area of the picture and the frame is occupied by the frame?
10 1/2 20 30 33 1/3 50

Also is there a fast way to work out qestions like find the lowest
11/15 21/25 13/17
And why is this a permutation: Jill has six different books. In how many ways can Jill select two different books? I thought Permutation is when order matters and require specifics...

sorry for all the question:)

1) I think you have problem #1 written incorrectly. Should there be an 'x' somewhere?

2) You want to figure out how long it will take Mary to walk 5/8 of a mile (the rest of the distance). Set it up like this:

5/8 mile X 9 minutes/(3/8 mile) . . . the miles unit cancels out and you are left with minutes. It should be 15 minutes.

3) Set up your variables and then write equations using what you know:
A1 = area of the original square s1 = side of the first square
A2 = area of the new square. s2 = side of the second square

A2 = A1 + 53 <--- This is what you know
s1 X s1 = A1
s2 X s2 = A2
s1 + 1 = s2

Solve for s1 by substituting variables.

A2 = s1^2 + 53
(s1 + 1)^2 = s1^2 + 53
s1^2 + 2s1 + 1 = s1^2 + 53
2s1 = 52
s1 = 26

4) Do the same thing as problem #3

5) When you are comparing fractions, look at the numerator and denominator. For the problem you gave, the denominator is 4 more than the numerator. In this situation, the larger the denominator, the larger the fraction. (an extreme example would be 1/5 vs. 96/100 - they are both a difference of four, but clearly 96/100 is greater than 1/5).

Hope this helps!

I think you need the length of the frame to work it out.

No the question mentions that. When it says 6 inches wide it should be read as 6 inches wider than the border of the picture at that point.

"And why is this a permutation: Jill has six different books. In how many ways can Jill select two different books? I thought Permutation is when order matters and require specifics..."

Permutation is n!/(n-r)!

That's the # of ways she can choose the 2 books and it matters which one she chooses first.

The question is really bad so I wouldn't worry about seeing something like this on the real test. Or if you do, you'll only see either 30 or 15 as an answer, but not both. The question could have been better stated as: in how many ways can Jill decide to read two of those books? Then you know that since you can't read two at the exact same time, it has to be one followed by the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, I misread that as "6 feet wide". In this case: (4 X 5)/[(4+1) X (5+1)] = 2/3 (6 inches wider on all sides, so 12" = 1ft), so the frame itself occupies 1/3 of total area.

aahhhh ...i got the others but i want the answer to 1, its killing meee:confused: