ADA Membership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pupsingh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello

what is the advantage of joining the ADA after graduation?

do you get continuing education courses for free?

if you are not a member, can u still participate in ADA continuing education courses?

Members don't see this ad.

hello

what is the advantage of joining the ADA after graduation?

do you get continuing education courses for free?

if you are not a member, can u still participate in ADA continuing education courses?

Multiple advantages exists IMHO with ADA membership post graduation.

First off, you do get some free CE, both through the 4 to 6 question multiple choice tests based on articles in the monthly journal and then if you goto the ADA annual meeting they offer a number of free courses (I'll partake in a few of them a couple of months from now at this years meeting in Honolulu:D).

The biggest thing though that ADA membership offers though IMHO, is the ability to legislatively have dentistry present an organized front. Sure, you may not agree with all the positions the ADA takes, but with well over 80% of dentists belonging, it does give dentistry a voice politically which in this current time DOES make a difference.

You ADA membership will also get you membership not just nationally, but also in your state and local dental societies and the contacts and courses (and once again representation politically that it offers) *Side disclosure note, I'm currently my local component society president:D)

With issues like managed care, amalgam and mid level providers (and who knows what else the future will bring) on the forefront now, being involved is an important thing in my mind

Agreed, midlevels like NPs, PAs, CRNAs and DNPs are killing it for the physicians. Gotta give full support to the ADA to make sure that doesn't happen to us as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dropped out of the ADA because they haven't been supportive of the GP. They are using your dues to actually fund the mid-level providers. The ADA hasn't been on the dentist side of the access to care issue. They have a horrible track record in advertising dentistry. I don't know if anyone has seen the oral cancer ads they have done recently, but they aren't good. Their insurance programs aren't good deals for dentists.

I could go on about how much I think the ADA sucks but I won't. just my 2 cents.

Until the ADA puts forth an organized effort to introduce national licensure similar to that which physicians now enjoy, they are just an organization at the mercy of state dental boards which control their own kingdoms. We all know dentition is the same in all 50 states......what's the problem?