ADA Rant!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shane.

Get ya' hair did.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we're all familiar with the preliminary five schools you are allowed to have your DAT scores sent to included in the test application fee; Each additional school you have the scores sent to is an additional $25.

So here's my issue. Two of the five schools I initially designated, I am not going to be applying to and there are two new schools to which I would like my DAT scores sent to. So I phone ADA Testing Services Department and ask if there is anyway I could have two of the schools switched. Keep in mind that my DAT scheduled date is July 30. The representative replies immediately with a "No", at which point I asked why. With, literally, a ten second akward silence on the line (presumably the representative taking time to actually ask herself why I couldn't) she stumbles and stutters her way through a reasoning, including that, "it is the rules." :laugh:

Fair enough, I think to myself, it's an extra money grab for ADA if I have to drop the extra $50 to send the scores to the additional two schools. I'm not going to argue with the lady so I continue to ask if I could simply have the two schools that I no longer am applying to removed so that they don't recieve my DAT scores. I am then told that there is no way to cancel the school designations. It is written in stone!

gg ADA.... gg! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, and last year each additional school was only $15!

will they tell you what schools you marked down on your initial 5? i lost my list and i need to retrieve the schools so i don't pay double.

Members don't see this ad :)
slash, that, i'm pretty sure, they would let you know.

I'm going to try calling early tommorow to see if I can get a different representative and see if they say the same thing. I'm sure it wouldn't take much at all (5 minutes tops) to change the schools around. Frustrating! :mad:

will they tell you what schools you marked down on your initial 5? i lost my list and i need to retrieve the schools so i don't pay double.

hate to break it to you, but they don't. i called in a month ago to ask which schools i had sent mine to, and i was told they don't keep records of that (what the heck?). sometimes i wonder if they actually, you know...do anything.

they made an extra $125 off of me.

hate to break it to you, but they don't. i called in a month ago to ask which schools i had sent mine to, and i was told they don't keep records of that (what the heck?). sometimes i wonder if they actually, you know...do anything.

they made an extra $125 off of me.

Interesting. I had the same thing happen last year, called the ADA and they were able to pull up which schools I'd submitted DATs to using my SS# as an ID. I wonder if it is luck of the draw on who you get on the phone.

Interesting. I had the same thing happen last year, called the ADA and they were able to pull up which schools I'd submitted DATs to using my SS# as an ID. I wonder if it is luck of the draw on who you get on the phone.

lame :thumbdown:

the ADA is a complete ripoff...they dont give a damn how poor u are, they will screw u over every single time they get the chance....they care about your money and thats it.:cool:

yeah i had the same situation and I called ADA like 2 months before my scheduled exam date. The rep couldnt really give me a good reason why either, she was just like, it's not allowed.:bullcrap:maybe we had the same person

That's silly! The scores haven't even been sent out, better yet, created! Why can't they? All they do is change it in the computer system.

Hey guys.... since we are on the topic, how do we add schools we want our DAT sent to? Do I call them or do it online?? ( I have not taken the DAT yet but when I registered for the DAT, I just put down the 5 free schools, now I want to add) Thanks for the help guys:D

^i did mine online

http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/index.asp

on the right side under "After The Test:" there is "Request Score Report
icon_newwindow.gif
(Electronic)" and the rest is just filling stuff in.

I also had problems dealing with them. Everyone I spoke with on the phone was a complete jerk.

I had the same issue last year, and they read me the list of schools on the phone. I don't remember it being a problem at all.

Last year I added some schools to AADSAS and the DAT score request. I called to see when they were sent out and they knew not only when the scores would be finalized but they told me which schools I had previously requested scores for and which had not yet been received. They were very helpful and even a little simpathetic to my d-school applicant problems.

If you have problems, though, stop by the ADEA when you find yourself in DC and get a tour. As much as I hate needless red tape, the system worked for me.

American Dental Education Association
1400 K Street, NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
Tel: 202-289-7201