Adderall really isn't fair.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Udreamin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My PCP prescribed me a 5 count bottle (referring me to a psychiatrist for a full diagnosis/prescription) and here's my experience with it.

Firstly, let me preface this thread by saying you shouldn't take this drug illegally and I am not encouraging anyone to go out and get a prescription. This drug is dangerous and can create a terrible life-long dependency.

That being said, I have a high GPA with only average focus/concentration and I consider myself a fairly smart individual. Here's my experience with it after the 5 pills, summarized: This drug is stupidly unfair. It turned me into a machine and demigod. Had any smart individual with average focus been taking this drug since day 1 of college, they'd graduate with a 4.0 easy. I have pre-med friends who've been taking it the entire time and now I don't even question why they pop this pill. Medical students would be silly not to get a prescription for adderall. It makes absolutely everything significantly easier if you don't have ADHD.

I am absolutely astonished that this drug can even be legally prescribed despite it being a strong therapy for ADHD patients. As a weightlifter, non-adderall users and adderall users are analogous to a natural lifter and a steroid-using lifter - the two are usually on entirely different levels. The steroid user recovers quicker, drastically increases their genetic capacity to build muscle, and even builds muscle without even lifting. Sure, you can be prescribed steroids if you have muscular dystrophy or some testosterone issues (ADHD) in order to reach normal levels, but if you're already at normal levels or are above normal, you turn into a freak of nature. This is what adderall is like. Works great for people with ADHD issues, turns men into gods when you take that issue out of the equation. I honestly can't believe I was competing with people who used this drug during my entire time in college.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with adderall? What are your thoughts on it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So in a nutshell:

red-pill-450.jpg

Reactions: 19 users
My PCP prescribed me a 5 count bottle (referring me to a psychiatrist for a full diagnosis/prescription) and here's my experience with it.

Firstly, let me preface this thread by saying you shouldn't take this drug illegally and I am not encouraging anyone to go out and get a prescription. This drug is dangerous and can create a terrible life-long dependency.

That being said, I have a high GPA with only average focus/concentration and I consider myself a fairly smart individual. Here's my experience with it after the 5 pills, summarized: This drug is stupidly unfair. It turned me into a machine and demigod. Had any smart individual with average focus been taking this drug since day 1 of college, they'd graduate with a 4.0 easy. I have pre-med friends who've been taking it the entire time and now I don't even question why they pop this pill. Medical students would be silly not to get a prescription for adderall. It makes absolutely everything significantly easier if you don't have ADHD.

I am absolutely astonished that this drug can even be legally prescribed despite it being a strong therapy for ADHD patients. As a weightlifter, non-adderall users and adderall users are analogous to a natural lifter and a steroid-using lifter - the two are usually on entirely different levels. The steroid user recovers quicker, drastically increases their genetic capacity to build muscle, and even builds muscle without even lifting. Sure, you can be prescribed steroids if you have muscular dystrophy or some testosterone issues (ADHD) in order to reach normal levels, but if you're already at normal levels or are above normal, you turn into a freak of nature. This is what adderall is like. Works great for people with ADHD issues, turns men into gods when you take that issue out of the equation. I honestly can't believe I was competing with people who used this drug during my entire time in college.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with adderall? What are your thoughts on it?
Admitting to using a nonprescribed drug on a site of health professionals. This should go well.

Edit: I have reading comprehension issues, but I don't have ADHD issues I promise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't read much of your post, but students have anxiety/depression isn't "fair" either because they can't focus as well. Having ridiculously easy schools/classes "isn't" fair. Applying to med school isn't "fair" but oh well, that's life.

Reactions: 10 users
Admitting to using a nonprescribed drug on a site of health professionals. This should go well.
The first paragraph says it was prescribed to Op.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 25 users
Didn't read much of your post, but students have anxiety/depression isn't "fair" either because they can't focus as well. Having ridiculously easy schools/classes "isn't" fair. Applying to med school isn't "fair" but oh well, that's life.
I mean, I wasn't complaining. I am simply saying that if your school has an abundance of adderall users (which mine does) you're basically competing with steroid users. It's impressive how big the boost is.

Reactions: 1 users
@Udreamin - it only works the way you describe for people with ADHD... for others, it just makes them high and unable to study or retain (for the most part).

I suspect your post is simply a troll post but if not, you just offended many, many people on here and in the greater world with your post. Congrats.

Reactions: 9 users
OP has ADHD/ADD.
OP is prescribed Adderall, the drug used to treat ADHD.
The drug treats OP's ADHD.
OP is elated that the drug used to treat ADHD successfully treated his ADHD.
OP concludes that he does not have ADHD, and that this drug must work miracles for other people without ADHD.

Reactions: 76 users
@Udreamin - it only works the way you describe for people with ADHD... for others, it just makes them high and unable to study or retain (for the most part).
And how do you know this?
OP has ADHD/ADD.
OP concludes that he does not have ADHD, and that this drug must work miracles for other people without ADHD.
I am mindboggled by your lack of reading comprehension. Clear attempt at like-baiting.

Reactions: 2 users

I really can't tell whether you're condemning it or advertising it?

Reactions: 3 users
Batman, is that you?!?!?

@md-2020 - thoughts? Batman hath returned?

My friend is prescribed Adderall XR for his ADHD and let me try one before an MCAT practice test we did together. Gave me terrible anxiety and I did not do any better or worse than I usually do.

From the research I have read the improvement in test scores in normal people is mild at best and the drug is actually damaging to your brain long term-- reduces functional connectivity, decreases grey matter etc. Only really useful if you have attention issues and even then I think Ritalin is a better long term option.

I'll leave my neurotransmitters right where they are thank you

Reactions: 39 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And how do you know this?

-Drugs such as adderall and ritalin do not produce the same "effects" in adhd and normal peeps. That's why it's not accurate to generalize adderall as a "cognitive enhancer".
This is sort of validated in pre-clinical studies that compare normal rats (Sprague Dawley/Wistar) and "ADHD-like rats" (SHR). Produces cognitive impairments in one but not the other.

-Short term use, ADHD peeps report a reduction in hyperactivity. Non-ADHD peeps report the opposite = increase in energy, anxiety, agitation. This is even seen in toddlers who accidentally ingest ritalin/adderall.

-Long term use, it produces memory impairments and sleep problems. And chronic sleep deprivation may produce symptoms which overlap with ADHD. (no good)

-College students that abuse ADHD meds tend to have lower academic performance than those that do not medicate. Although, this is a correlation at best.

-College students that do use stimulants and have ADHD perform better than their non-medicated counterparts, but they do not perform as well as non-adhd folks.

TLDR:
You do you. Don't tell others to do you. They are not you.

Reactions: 18 users
OP has ADHD/ADD.

so ur saying that aderrall causes autism because it enhances the chemtrails in our water supply

got it

Reactions: 33 users
I like knowing that I can still function as well as many of my Adderall using classmates, despite my perpetual insomnia, occasional depression, and diagnosed but untreated ADHD. I was on Adderall when I was younger, **** made me feel like a zombie, completely lost my sense of humor and a lot of what made me feel like me. Worse still, it didn't improve my grades at all- they actually got worse. Haven't wanted to try it since, just ain't for me. I just learned to balance focusing intensely on my schoolwork with intensely ****ing off over the years, if you couldn't tell by the 20k posts I've dropped in less than three years here.

I'm not judging people that use it or abuse it, that's on them. But someday, particularly for the abusers, you're going to have to function without it. It's nice to know I'll never have to worry about crossing that bridge.

Reactions: 13 users
Here's my experience with it after the 5 pills, summarized:

I'll be blunt: If you are making sweeping conclusions based off adderall's effects from just your first five times youve taken it, you know very little about adderall and its function/effects. None of this shows any realization towards the issues with extremely small sample size, tolerance, side effects, how it affects different people entirely differently amongst a million other things.

MadJack's experience might differ from others(many ADHD people see their academic performance improve enormously after treatment) but the point overall is still the same he brings up: you will have to adjust to it, learn how to function without it at certain points/occurence etc at some point in your life. The effects it has on somebody taking it for 5 days vs 5 months vs 5 years are radically different.

Last edited:
You don't have to learn to live without it if you, in fact, have ADHD.

You don't have to learn to live without it if you, in fact, have ADHD.
Never say never ;) knew someone that couldn't bring it overseas on a medical mission, for instance, because the country had insane requirements for the dispensing of amphetamines. She had to choose between going without the adderall or not going at all, and she picked the former and felt like a pile of **** the whole time.

I have been diagnosed with ADHD and similar to what Madjack said, I never got prescribed it because I did not want it to change my personality. I did fall into the college trap a few times and take the Addy XR and sometimes I would turn into a super human and have some amazing days studying...... I was studying for the MCAT and my friend gave me his script to take because of course I fell back into that trap of thinking it would make me study better..... Well I took it for the 30 days up to my date and honestly my attention span decreased immensely in that span. I also felt like I had a couple months of side effects that are finely starting to leave me......

So my 2c: You may have taken it 5 times and I'm sure you think it's amazing, I know how you feel. Do not think it is a permanent answer and do not become dependent.

So you found out you have ADHD and are treating it properly, congratulations! Keep up on the medication and don't abuse it.

@Mad Jack - well, that's different... I choose to go without it all the time - purposefully - to give my brain a med-head break. But let's just say, one can tell.

Dishes are half done, fresh milk is left on counter; dog got left outside; I think I left a door open...I forget where I was going when I get into the car... and talking to someone? Like a freight train with multiple different rails to choose from and choice = all of them :)

Reactions: 4 users
I never got prescribed it because I did not want it to change my personality... Do not think it is a permanent answer and do not become dependent.
Concerta script for 8 years - no personality change, no dependency

Not taking Concerta = lost dog, door left open, perpetual keys lost, car missing, don't get me started on story sharing or grades...

Reactions: 6 users
I think Grapes hit it out of the park.

Making all these conclusions based off your 5 pill sampling is laughable. You have no idea how it'll effect you in the long run, especially once you start to build up a tolerance/dependence to this new amphetemine you're putting into your body.

Individually, how a drug like adderall will effect your brain chemistry can vary quite a bit. Some people can feel a nootropic effect while others may feel such bad anxiety that they can forget doing anything productive until it's out of their system. So understand, coming in here preaching that adderall is not fair based on your limited knowledge was bound to ruffle feathers.

@Mad Jack - well, that's different... I choose to go without it all the time - purposefully - to give my brain a med-head break. But let's just say, one can tell.

Dishes are half done, fresh milk is left on counter; dog got left outside; I think I left a door open...I forget where I was going when I get into the car... and talking to someone? Like a freight train with multiple different rails to choose from and choice = all of them :)
Then you know what it's like to go without all the time :p

Not gonna lie, I've got several withdraws on my early transcript- three or four of them- and they were all because of my ADD. I would look at textbooks and not even be able to read more than a paragraph before the words felt like they were blurring. I'd fall asleep reading textbooks all the time. But, and I know it sounds crazy, eventually my brain adapted. I just shifted that energy and focus toward my studies. Doesn't work all the time, as this post can attest, but it's worked well enough to get me this far.

Adderall may be capable of helping me focus or whatever, but I just struggled and forced myself to develop coping mechanisms for the way the world works. Of course, I don't think ADHD is a disease, myself- I think it's a way of thinking that was advantageous in prior human history but is disadvantageous in a world that's very different from our fight-or-flight ancestors. Constantly looking for new things and new stimuli was a good way to keep your tribe moving forward in hunter-gatherer times, but not so much in times where we're forced to sit on laptops and study for 8 hours at a clip. That's just more of a side-rant about the pathologization of normal, healthy human variation, but whatever...

coming in here preaching that adderall is not fair based on your limited knowledge was bound to ruffle feathers.
I strongly suspect, given insufficient sample sizes, that said OP = troll or ... da Batman.

I think the most reassuring for premeds to know is that while taking adderall may help you study more and, presumably, get you better grades, it will NOT help you achieve a higher MCAT score. The MCAT is the great equalizer and honestly, while I didn't score phenomenal, I am glad it exists for this very reason.

Of course, I don't think ADHD is a disease, myself- I think it's a way of thinking that was advantageous in prior human history but is disadvantageous in a world that's very different from our fight-or-flight ancestors. Constantly looking for new things and new stimuli was a good way to keep your tribe moving forward in hunter-gatherer times, but not so much in times where we're forced to sit on laptops and study for 8 hours at a clip. That's just more of a side-rant about the pathologization of normal, healthy human variation, but whatever...

Interesting theory. I think the biggest problem is the potential symptoms of ADHD are so broad and all-encompassing yet dont really relate with each other. On top of that, there's the knee jerk reaction is to just diagnose and prescribe the pills when in doubt without always really doing as sufficient a job in identifying what the symptoms and major problems are for these people. ADHD has the unique fate of both being incredibly over diagnosed and under diagnosed(ie never detected).

From what Ive seen it's not necessairly just about the act of focusing and how ADHD prevents people from paying attention. It's that the act of paying attention for alot of people with ADHD is just a mess. Not following directions, making tons of careless mistakes, your mind drifting in a way you have absolutely no control over or even in ways that you dont realize it. Even when they are trying to pay attention like during tests, they are still missing on tons of things and making tons of careless mistakes. One tell tale sign for alot of people with ADHD is it really affects their job performance and reputation. So in that sense Im not sure its really about adaptation/evolution over time per se but that's also highlights part of the problem above: the symptoms are so broad that anybody can easily focus on any one aspect of it in particular and itll lead to completely different interpretations/analysis about it.

Interesting theory. I think the biggest problem is the potential symptoms of ADHD are so broad and all-encompassing yet dont really relate with each other. On top of that, there's the knee jerk reaction is to just diagnose and prescribe the pills when in doubt without always really doing as sufficient a job in identifying what the symptoms and major problems are for these people. ADHD has the unique fate of both being incredibly over diagnosed and under diagnosed(ie never detected).

From what Ive seen it's not necessairly just about the act of focusing and how ADHD prevents people from paying attention. It's that the act of paying attention for alot of people with ADHD is just a mess. Not following directions, making tons of careless mistakes, your mind drifting in a way you have absolutely no control over or even in ways that you dont realize it. Even when they are trying to pay attention like during tests, they are still missing on tons of things and making tons of careless mistakes. One tell tale sign for alot of people with ADHD is it really affects their job performance and reputation. So in that sense Im not sure its really about adaptation/evolution over time per se but that's also highlights part of the problem above: the symptoms are so broad that anybody can easily focus on any one aspect of it in particular and itll lead to completely different interpretations/analysis about it.
In a world in which you need to live moment-by-moment, those sorts of things don't mean a damn. I've read a good number of psychology and psychiatry papers that make a strong case for ADHD being adaptive (and why wouldn't it be, given its widespread prevalence) in a prehistoric environment. That it has become maladaptive does not necessarily make it a disease, at least to me.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2008/06/new_world_disorder.html

Adderall is readily available at my school but quite frankly taking it just sounds pathetic. Do you really need a pill to prevent yourself from getting distracted? Just do your job. (Applies only to those who don't have a medical reason for taking it, of course).

All the people I know taking adderall for their ADHD are fairly normal, except when they are off it they won't stop going off on tangents on random topics. All the people I know who took adderrall solely to help them study for finals in undergrad ended up getting mediocre grades, but they were also airheads to begin with. It didn't make them demigods. That's been my general view of it based just on my experiences in undergrad (I've never taken it).

Concerta script for 8 years - no personality change, no dependency

Not taking Concerta = lost dog, door left open, perpetual keys lost, car missing, don't get me started on story sharing or grades...

Very interesting. It seems people can react very differently to ADHD stimulants here.
I was also prescribed concerta a few years ago for ADD, when I was in high school. Had (and still have) an extremely difficult time focusing, often times forgetful/absent/distracted, etc. I noticed a huge change taking stimulants- sort of what OP described with focusing. My grades went up, I could focus, get things done. But my personality took a U-turn- no sense of humor, zombie-like, depressed. What's the point if you're going to be miserable. So I stopped taking it; really struggled to get things done, and still do, but I find it far preferable to the alternative.

I guess it really depends on you and if you find the side effects worth it. I'm glad it works for you! I've heard about other ADD medications that don't belong in the "stimulant" category most medications are (adderall, concerta, etc.), but I've never really pursued it.

I like that you assume you'd have the same reaction to the drug over a long period of time after only five doses. The reason people have issues with abusing drugs like that is because that wonderful euphoric and hardcore motivation/focus start to go away after a while. They chase the initial effects with larger doses. I don't think its fair, either, because the majority people I know that use stimulants don't actually have valid reason for a prescription. What that being said, that's not a good reason to be ignorant and hateful towards other people who need that kind of help.

I like that you assume you'd have the same reaction to the drug over a long period of time after only five doses. The reason people have issues with abusing drugs like that is because that wonderful euphoric and hardcore motivation/focus start to go away after a while. They chase the initial effects with larger doses. I don't think its fair, either, because the majority people I know that use stimulants don't actually have valid reason for a prescription. What that being said, that's not a good reason to be ignorant and hateful towards other people who need that kind of help.
Solid points.

OP, you really won't feel the same effects after a couple weeks. I think most people with ADD/ADHD largely feel those incredible effects at first because they're suddenly unrestricted from attaining their potential. If someone has had ADD/ADHD their whole life, that level of functioning becomes the baseline, and anything above it can adopt the impression of other-worldly status. Saying that adderall is unfair for those with ADD/ADHD to take is similar to saying that antidepressants are unfair for those with depression to take, because it increases their potential so much as a result of not being held back by a disorder anymore. That's really not the case, and people here are upset with you for 1) not recognizing the reality of ADD/ADHD, and 2) the naivety of believing that the effects you've experienced will continue long-term with continued use. But the emotions associated with recognizing that you're capable of incredible things once your disorder is under control is very powerful, so I definitely understand the impulsive decision to make a post like you did.

To everyone else: could you point me in the direction of some literature with evidence showing that adderall has dissimilar effects for ADD/ADHD sufferers vs. those without ADD/ADHD? I'd like to read up on that, and can't find much.

Last edited:
A lot of people I know without ADHD are using the medications because it is helping them get through premedical and medical school classes. To that, I agree. It isn't fair. This is simply supposed to level the playing field to people with disabilities. I am not sure that the implication that Ritalin/Adderall/whatever do nothing at all to people without ADHD is really valid. Do you have to be ADHD to have coffee have an effect on you?

I admitted to having ADHD to disability since I am that annoying dude who likes having all paperwork in order. I also had a legal prescription for Ritalin (Adderall makes my face go numb and does nothing for my attention span) but because disability could not accept who wrote the meds for me (as he was not a psychiatrist or psychologist, he was my PCP although I had been diagnosed multiple times) and was told by one of the deans that until I have a yearly $800+ assessments, that I cannot take legally prescribed medications when in school. To say this was one in a long line of horrible things my first year of medical school is an understatement. And yet the others (mostly gunners) are taking illegally. I just don't understand and really don't appreciate it.

A lot of people I know without ADHD are using the medications because it is helping them get through premedical and medical school classes. To that, I agree. It isn't fair. This is simply supposed to level the playing field to people with disabilities. I am not sure that the implication that Ritalin/Adderall/whatever do nothing at all to people without ADHD is really valid. Do you have to be ADHD to have coffee have an effect on you?

I admitted to having ADHD to disability since I am that annoying dude who likes having all paperwork in order. I also had a legal prescription for Ritalin (Adderall makes my face go numb and does nothing for my attention span) but because disability could not accept who wrote the meds for me (as he was not a psychiatrist or psychologist, he was my PCP although I had been diagnosed multiple times) and was told by one of the deans that until I have a yearly $800+ assessments, that I cannot take legally prescribed medications when in school. To say this was one in a long line of horrible things my first year of medical school is an understatement. And yet the others (mostly gunners) are taking illegally. I just don't understand and really don't appreciate it.
That policy will change right quick once the school gets hit with a suit for a suicide damages caused by the prevention of antidepressant use in someone who had the meds prescribed by his/her PCP. Disgusting policy.

I like knowing that I can still function as well as many of my Adderall using classmates, despite my perpetual insomnia, occasional depression, and diagnosed but untreated ADHD. I was on Adderall when I was younger, **** made me feel like a zombie, completely lost my sense of humor and a lot of what made me feel like me. Worse still, it didn't improve my grades at all- they actually got worse. Haven't wanted to try it since, just ain't for me. I just learned to balance focusing intensely on my schoolwork with intensely ****ing off over the years, if you couldn't tell by the 20k posts I've dropped in less than three years here.

I'm not judging people that use it or abuse it, that's on them. But someday, particularly for the abusers, you're going to have to function without it. It's nice to know I'll never have to worry about crossing that bridge.

that's a lot of masturbating

I couldn't see that well, so my optho wrote me a prescription for eyeglasses.....suddenly I can see EVERYTHING. This is cheating. When "normal" people put on glasses they must get x-ray vision and be able to see the answers on tests before they even pick up a pencil!

Reactions: 11 users
OP makes a lot of medical claims about medication, it's effects, and people with ADHD, but please remember people that OP is just a premed and has hardly any legitimacy to his opinion.

Premed science classes don't make you a doctor, OP ;)

If it makes you feel any better OP, adderall reeks havoc on a many people and lots of people have long term complications.

But yea, life isn't fair. The only thing you can do is to live as morally as you can while you strive to compete with everyone else!

People who abuse drugs for some real or perceived benefit do so at certain emotional, financial, and health costs. It's not like we envy heroin addicts because they don't have to feel feelings like the rest of us do.

That policy will change right quick once the school gets hit with a suit for a suicide damages caused by the prevention of antidepressant use in someone who had the meds prescribed by his/her PCP. Disgusting policy.

I was referring to the ADHD medications specifically because taking them when you don't have it is considered cheating.

I am allowed to take anything for my anxiety (they don't care what) and for my epilepsy (they don't care what).

Having an amazing day studying for someone with ADHD, is not necessarily the same as having an amazing day studying as someone without. What might feel superhuman to someone with ADHD may just be due to comparison to their personal norm.

For example, my husband has ADHD and I do not. He doesn't understand how I maintain my study habits, hours, information retaining and ability to keep track of a multitude of tasks and the motivation to do them. We've had tons of discussions about this.... one just last night.

For me, I'm just doing what I always have. It's nothing. It took me a really long time to understand how he views my habits and abilities.

Even with a scrip though? I don't see how that's legal haha

Easy to lie about it I guess? Easy enough to get a PCP to write a script for something that common? Current PCP first day I met him, I said "Can you refill my Ritalin please?" and he did without even asking for evidence I had the diagnosis. Now I had my medical files with me, but he wrote before he looked at them.

And before that PCP before that... also first day, no medical records around though. I left with a script when the PCP was like "Have you been told you might have ADHD??" and I gave a snarky response. I could tell you how the rest of the interview went, but I think half of SDN wouldn't believe me and the other half would be like... knowing who this is... that is probably word for word.

There is a reason that doctor probably cursed me with "May every one of your patients be exactly like you." ;)