Adding More Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manofmen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some advice. I'm a reapplicant who applied to 38 schools, 25 of which I applied to last year. As of yet I've gotten 2 interviews which I'm thankful for, 5 rejections, and silence everywhere else. I'm starting to get a little worried if many schools are simply going to reject me. About 20 of the schools I applied to are somewhat of a reach and I applied again because I had an early application (to compensate for turning in a late app last year). I'm not expecting much out of those but from the remainder of schools the muted response is concerning. 5 of the schools I turned in secondaries this year I did not complete the previous year because of cost, so I'm wondering if they will see this in a negative light. Would you guys suggest any schools that I could possibly add, or do you think I should wait it out? Money is a little tight but I'm not positive about my situation. 3.7 34 Mcat CA resident, complete most places between end of July and early/mid August. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some advice. I'm a reapplicant who applied to 38 schools, 25 of which I applied to last year. As of yet I've gotten 2 interviews which I'm thankful for, 5 rejections, and silence everywhere else. I'm starting to get a little worried if many schools are simply going to reject me. About 20 of the schools I applied to are somewhat of a reach and I applied again because I had an early application (to compensate for turning in a late app last year). I'm not expecting much out of those but from the remainder of schools the muted response is concerning. 5 of the schools I turned in secondaries this year I did not complete the previous year because of cost, so I'm wondering if they will see this in a negative light. Would you guys suggest any schools that I could possibly add, or do you think I should wait it out? Money is a little tight but I'm not positive about my situation. 3.7 34 Mcat CA resident, complete most places between end of July and early/mid August. Thanks for the help!

It sounds like you know from experience that submitting an app right now is unlikely to be fruitful.

You have 15 schools that aren't reaches. I may not find your application list to be full of prudent choices for a reapplicant, but at this point, it is what it is. You have 2 interviews, and you can continue to be offered more for several months -- since it only takes 1 acceptance, I would try to breathe, calm down, and put any stress/ time/ effort into making sure you can turn those interviews into acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't usually leave a comment, but I have to say that I have very similar numbers.

Applied: 35 schools (secondaries submitted July - August)
Rejected: 3
IIs: 2
Also, I have very similar stats

From what I've heard both on SDN and from friends who went through last cycle, the IIs can come in very late for mediocre applicants like us. My best friend got all 3 of her IIs after December and was eventually accepted to one of those three schools. I really dislike how long and drawn out this process is, but I think we've got pretty good chances, with 2 IIs at this point in the game. I know that one of the schools I'm interviewing at has a 60% acceptance rate of people interviewed. My impression is that it's a big leap to get from secondary to II.

I was considering applying to more schools, but I ultimately decided to just go with what I have. We only need one acceptance!

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't usually leave a comment, but I have to say that I have very similar numbers.

Applied: 35 schools (secondaries submitted July - August)
Rejected: 3
IIs: 2
Also, I have very similar stats

From what I've heard both on SDN and from friends who went through last cycle, the IIs can come in very late for mediocre applicants like us. My best friend got all 3 of her IIs after December and was eventually accepted to one of those three schools. I really dislike how long and drawn out this process is, but I think we've got pretty good chances, with 2 IIs at this point in the game. I know that one of the schools I'm interviewing at has a 60% acceptance rate of people interviewed. My impression is that it's a big leap to get from secondary to II.

I was considering applying to more schools, but I ultimately decided to just go with what I have. We only need one acceptance!

Good luck!

Wow I'm incredibly insulted that you called me in mediocre applicant. How dare you :) Seriously though, that sounds about right to me as well. Agreed about the one interview is all we need. And thanks a lot for leaving a comment. The work you put in typing that has given me some piece of mind. I wish the best of luck to you as well!

Reactions: 1 users
WOW. 38 schools and you want to add more? You'd need to give a list for anyone to have an idea of what to suggest.

I tell people I applied to 24 and they get 'sticker shock.'

Best of luck, I hope it works out :)