adding more than 6 schools to FAFSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

love Mom

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I introduced myself in the post entitled, "I don't mean to anger people but....." In case you missed it, I'll redo... I'm a Mom of one of your fellow SDNers and I've pretty much watched all of the hassels you have been subjected to this year, on top of getting through your undergrad years. I like finding out info on the 'net and have some links and hints that I'd be happy to pass on to you.

Now that it's my turn to fill out the parent part of the FAFSA I called the folks at 1-800-433-3243 (didn't have to wait more than 5 minutes....unlike your calls to AMCAS!) Assuming that many of you won't know which school you are actually going to attend this fall, I asked FAFSA how you list more than 6 schools in Step 6. I was told that once processed, which should be 3-5 days after you submit the form on the web, (assuming you have already requested and received a PIN number from <a href="http://www.fafsa.ed.gov" target="_blank">www.fafsa.ed.gov</a> ) you can call the 800 number listed above and they will add the additional schools for you.

Another thing....make sure when you do list the six schools that you use the correct federal school code. Many/most if not all medical schools have a different code than the university which bears the same name. They may not award you with the correct amount of $$ if you use the code for an undergraduate institution.

Hope this makes sense. (I hate that FAFSA :)

Mom :)

Members don't see this ad.

That is so nice of you! Thanks MOM

Just wondering, who is your dear SDN child? Only if you don't mind revealing, that is. :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably don't know my SDN child.....I think he's mostly been a lurker. He graduated at the semester break in December and was not looking forward to coming home...but he's in a much better mood with an acceptance to Creighton. Right now, he's at the social function at MCW, after spending the earlier part of the week interviewing at Northwestern. So.....I thought I'd sneak on board while he wasn't looking.

If you like, I'll gather a bunch of links that I've come across in this interview year or so...might be helpful, no?

Love, Mom

THanks for the info :) It's really nice of you :)

I was wondering...has anyone else had problems obtaining a PIN from the Dept of Ed web site?

Thanks, Mom! I've got a Mom just like you -- to the point where she actually typed all my secondaries for me!! But she says the financial aid apps are up to me. Wait'll she finds out she has to do more stuff for FAFSA!! Is the parental part required? What if parental income is too high to qualify you for most things? My folks never filled out anything for undergrad, because they knew we wouldn't qualify.

i believe financial aid is calculated based on the student's financial info, not the parents'. parents' info is required only to apply for in-school scholarships and grant money.

Originally posted by DaniC:
•I was wondering...has anyone else had problems obtaining a PIN from the Dept of Ed web site?•••

Its odd that people are having to request a PIN, at least to me because they sent me one my first year of undergrad without a request. I guess I was just lucky. :D