Adding schools / advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentalguy26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there sdn,

I would like to know your guys' opinion on which 2-3 schools I will be most competitive at.

Residency: Mi
oGPA: 3.47
BCP: 3.47
DAT: 25AA/24TS/18PAT/26RC
Batch # 6, first time applicant.

Worked at a general dentists, assisted at an oral surgeons (300 hrs), ~100hrs of shadowing. My other work experience is pretty solid and unique. Not too many ec's besides volunteer hrs here and there.

Now here is the giant red flag on my application: my freshmen year of college I was convicted of a non-violent misdemeanor, more serious than say an MIP (I wouldn't like to get specific on this). Its been four years since it happened, and I feel that if/ when I land interviews, I will be able to explain it well and demonstrate how I have learned from it, but I feel like getting the interview may be the problem.

Ive applied to:
Umich
UDM
Creighton
Marquette
Louisville
Columbia
Pitt
Uconn
Colorado

I haven't heard a peep from any of these school. If you were me, and had the money to add 2-3 more schools, which would you choose?

Members don't see this ad.

You have solid stats. Private schools area always good to apply to! I would add Case Western since it isn't far from Michigan. Have you looked into NYU or LECOM or even Midwestern-IL?

I like the first half of your list, but I have read various things about Uconn and Colorado which lead me to believe they are not as OOS-friendly as I initially thought. Columbia seems like a reach with your GPA tbh, but way to KILL the DAT!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard columbia is all about DAT scores, their average GPA is actually right around mine if I'm not mistaken. Uconn and Colorado are stretches, but worth a shot I guess.

I have given NYU and Case a thought, but both are very pricey. I haven't given LECOM thought - I'll look into it.

Last edited:
I think you should consider adding one or two private schools just to be safe, although you do have a very good chance of getting into some of the schools on your list. Consider NYU, BU, Nova, and Tufts.

I think you should consider adding one or two private schools just to be safe, although you do have a very good chance of getting into some of the schools on your list. Consider NYU, BU, Nova, and Tufts.

Nova requires a liberal arts letter of rec
Tufts requires a letter of Recommendation from Biochem, chemistry, or physics.
Maryland requires one for chemistry.

How strict are these schools regarding letter of recommendations?

I have 3 sciences( All classified as biology) and one dentist.

Thanks for bringing this up. I've taken a year and a half off, so I am very removed from most of my professors. The profs I felt comfortable with were two upper level bio and one english. I also have a letter from a dentist. I considered both maryland and tufts, but my letters didn't match up.

If your undergrad has a pre-health committee that can write you a letter, I think you can bypass a lot of these requirements.

Nova is not strict at all. Not sure about Tufts.

Reactions: 1 user

My fiance received an interview from NOVA and does not have the liberal arts letter of rec

Reactions: 1 user
My fiance received an interview from NOVA and does not have the liberal arts letter of rec

Did he contact the school ahead of time about not having it? Or did he roll the dice and apply? I don't have one as well (2 science profs, 1 dentist, 1 supervisor from previous job)

Hey there sdn,

I would like to know your guys' opinion on which 2-3 schools I will be most competitive at.

Residency: Mi
oGPA: 3.47
BCP: 3.47
DAT: 25AA/24TS/18PAT/26RC
Batch # 6, first time applicant.

Worked at a general dentists, assisted at an oral surgeons (300 hrs), ~100hrs of shadowing. My other work experience is pretty solid and unique. Not too many ec's besides volunteer hrs here and there.

Now here is the giant red flag on my application: my freshmen year of college I was convicted of a non-violent misdemeanor, more serious than say an MIP (I wouldn't like to get specific on this). Its been four years since it happened, and I feel that if/ when I land interviews, I will be able to explain it well and demonstrate how I have learned from it, but I feel like getting the interview may be the problem.

Ive applied to:
Umich
UDM
Creighton
Marquette
Louisville
Columbia
Pitt
Uconn
Colorado

I haven't heard a peep from any of these school. If you were me, and had the money to add 2-3 more schools, which would you choose?
Pretty good list with that DAT