additional classes beyond basic pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uesider

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to apply to the Fall 2008 cycle. I'm a non-traditional student (out of college 2 years and worked in software development, went back for undergrad courses in Chem I, II, Bio I, II, Orgo I, Physics I... I have Orgo II and Physics II left to take in the fall this year... and I'm taking DAT in June) I just noticed a bunch of schools have additional pre-reqs beyond the usual 8 required courses. Michigan now has 3 additional required pre-reqs for Fall 2008 cycle, and Nova has 2 additional as well. My top choices are NYU, Columbia, and Stony, all of which only require the 8 usual pre-reqs... but I'm wondering if anyone knows of how much it will harm my app to not have any additional science courses (anatomy, physio, cell bio, etc.)

I'm doing a bio research course right now as a science elective, but that is really my only other science course. Any thoughts from non-trads who only did basic pre-reqs would be appreciated... as well as anyone else's thoughts!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Im a non-trad.. what i did was finish up all the prereqs before applying, then stated on my app that i would take Cell bio in the following fall, and Biochemistry and Developmental this spring..

I would recommend you definitely have Biochem on your App cause its becoming a common prerequisite; One school that accepted me would not have considered my app if it wasnt there (UNLV), and most strongly recommend it.

If the school you're planning on applying to requires it . . . then there you go!

If the school merely recommends it . . . then I guess it's up to your best judgement! (ie - either you think you're already a strong candidate and don't need additional courses or you feel that actually could use the additional courses to make yourself more competitive) We don't know the ins and outs of your situation they way you do. So it's your decision, your choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a non-trad too who had to take all 32-credits of pre-reqs post-bacc. I got into both NYU and Columbia without a problem for this coming year. I was also freaking out about not having any advanced science classes, since I had to go back to work and just couldn't sink more time into pre-reqs. However, I am now taking Biochemistry online from Johns Hopkins University's Advanced Academic Program. I'm quite impressed with the amount you are able to learn remotely and it's a very organized, structured class, and JHU has a great reputation. I don't know if I wouldn't have gotten in without this class, and it is $$$, but I figured it was worth it since I could take the class remotely given my schedule and it was good to be exposed to bio chem before taking it in d-school. I have to think it made SOME difference, esp. since there are some schools that require biochem. BTW, there are other classes you can take from this JHU program--Cell Biology is one of them. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Def. take Biochem, even if its not a pre-req. most Dental Schools require it first year and it can give you a leg up. I took this past spring (lect and lab) I liked the lab so much I am a TA this semester. I am a non-trad as well so I understand the time and $$ issues, but I think that Biochem is well worth it. Other than that A&P is another course I recommend. I know that its not a req. for most schools, but you do have to take Gross Anatomy your first year and I think that having some prior knowlege of the human body can't hurt. Good Luck!