• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

additional school recommendations

Petypet

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Ohio
  1. Attending Physician
    I have posted a lot in the non trad forums but figured I would get the input of a few people here:

3.6 gpa (both cumulative and science) BS chemistry
    50 hours clinical Volunteering
    3.6 grad GPA (PhD biochemistry)
    ~40 hours shadowing
    6 years research (biochem/ochem)
    mcat (sept) Averaging 29-34
    multiple leadership positions, poster sessions, etc
    taught for 2 years
    other misc ECs, not necessarily medicinally relevent
    TN resident

I have applied to

MD:
    Ohio State
    Univ. Cinn
    Wright State
    University of TN
    East TN
    Penn State

DO:
    OUCOM
    CCOM
    NYCOM
    NOVA
    DCOM

I am finishing my PhD this year, a year earlier than expected, hence the rush and delay in the process. I have submitted all primaries (AACOMAS verified) and all DO + University of Cinn secondaries. I have the essays pre written for the other MD so once my AMCAS gets verified that is a go. All letters are in and sent, 2 PI's that I did research for, 1 DO physician, and 1 chem prof that I TA'd for. So obviously my MCAT is later than usual, and my ECs are not cream of the crop. I know that, and I can't change it this cycle. The wheels are rolling, and knowing my stats what are some other schools to apply that would suit my residency and stats. The goal is to get in, hopefully first shot. Waiting is not an option as the money has been spent, and I realize that if I wait and apply later its "better", but I would like to attempt to make the most out of the situation I've been given.

What other schools can I cast my net to so that we get in first shot. I don't care DO vs MD, but I was thinking maybe 2 more of each. Realistically it would be within driving distance of Columbus Ohio because of finances and amount of time.

Thanks

Last edited:
    About the Ads
    This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    7. This thread is locked.