Additional Veterinary Experience Before Attending Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am in need of some advice. :)

I wasn't expecting to be accepted to veterinary school this year and I applied for an undergraduate 40 hr/week internship this summer at my state's veterinary school in the wildlife clinic. I want to do it because I really enjoy working with the staff (I've volunteered there for over a year now), but it is an unpaid internship and I could really do with saving up some money over the summer.

Alternatively, I've been offered a part-time job with a LA veterinarian. This would leave me with a little more cash and it would give me more time to spend with my horses since I won't be taking them with me to vet school.

I'm not really sure what to do at the moment. The wildlife clinic sees many interesting cases and I'd get to see more surgeries, but working with the large animal veterinarian would give me greater freedom and I could save. I might even be able to go on a vacation, which I haven't had for about six years now. lol

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anyone could answer this question for you.

You seem to be aware of the pluses and minuses of each, and just need to choose.

What do you value the most? You time? Your money? New experience?

Everyone is going to feel differently.

I don't think anyone could answer this question for you.

You seem to be aware of the pluses and minuses of each, and just need to choose.

What do you value the most? You time? Your money? New experience?

Everyone is going to feel differently.

:thumbup:
Personally, I would go with the LA veterinarian. Why? Because I have very little interest in pursuing a career in wildlife and am 99.9% sure I want to practice LA medicine. You might be the opposite.

Members don't see this ad :)
I might even be able to go on a vacation, which I haven't had for about six years now. lol

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE VALUE OF A VACATION. You're about to go into vet school, for criminy's sake. If I were in your position, I would take the option that gives me a vacation, unless I was 90% or more sure I was going into wildlife med.

Personally, I would go with the LA veterinarian. Why? Because I have very little interest in pursuing a career in wildlife and am 99.9% sure I want to practice LA medicine. You might be the opposite.

I would actually like to work with aquatics (aquaculture, specifically). *headdesk* This is going to be a difficult decision because I like working with just about every animal species, except large carnivores and primates. The bear we had at the wildlife clinic a month or so ago gave me a new respect for the species.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE VALUE OF A VACATION. You're about to go into vet school, for criminy's sake. If I were in your position, I would take the option that gives me a vacation, unless I was 90% or more sure I was going into wildlife med.

You're probably right. haha No, you're definitely right. I think I need one for sure before starting school again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like SOV said only you can answer this question. However, my advice, go with the LA vet where you can possibly have a vacation. Take it easy before vet school, you will have plenty of time to be stressed and poor while you are in it ;)

You are definitely the only one that can decide this, but I can tell you that having a little extra cash when moving to a different country is a very good idea.

Otherwise, you know the pros and cons of each... you just have to decide what is best for you! :)

I am in need of some advice. :)

I wasn't expecting to be accepted to veterinary school this year and I applied for an undergraduate 40 hr/week internship this summer at my state's veterinary school in the wildlife clinic. I want to do it because I really enjoy working with the staff (I've volunteered there for over a year now), but it is an unpaid internship and I could really do with saving up some money over the summer.

Alternatively, I've been offered a part-time job with a LA veterinarian. This would leave me with a little more cash and it would give me more time to spend with my horses since I won't be taking them with me to vet school.

I'm not really sure what to do at the moment. The wildlife clinic sees many interesting cases and I'd get to see more surgeries, but working with the large animal veterinarian would give me greater freedom and I could save. I might even be able to go on a vacation, which I haven't had for about six years now. lol

My thoughts:
I have the choice between a paid position at a SA clinic vs unpaid shadowing/hands on work with an LA vet this summer. Definitely going the LA route. Money is a big factor for me as well, but I *really* want the experience with LA.

Thanks everyone for your advice and recommendations. :D I think I'm going to go with the LA vet. After reading many posts by current vet students here on SDN, it seems like my CNS will need to be well rested before starting my course.

Thanks everyone for your advice and recommendations. :D I think I'm going to go with the LA vet. After reading many posts by current vet students here on SDN, it seems like my CNS will need to be well rested before starting my course.

Maybe you could defer the internship for one year and do it next summer after you have a year of vet school under your belt? Also there are plenty of opportunities for summer work in your field of interest once you're in school. Cornell's Aquavet program comes to mind. It is highly competitive (and if you do summer research in an aquatic topic I believe you get a stipend) but it's supposed to be amazing. Frankly your higher fall grades after a restful summer might open more doors for you than an unpaid pre-vet internship. No one can be sure of that though, just my speculation :D

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/aquavet/

Maybe you could defer the internship for one year and do it next summer after you have a year of vet school under your belt? Also there are plenty of opportunities for summer work in your field of interest once you're in school. Cornell's Aquavet program comes to mind. It is highly competitive (and if you do summer research in an aquatic topic I believe you get a stipend) but it's supposed to be amazing. Frankly your higher fall grades after a restful summer might open more doors for you than an unpaid pre-vet internship. No one can be sure of that though, just my speculation :D

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/aquavet/

Ohhh thanks so much for the website (I hadn't seen that one yet). It's weird to think that I will soon be able to apply for the Aquavet program after waiting so long! I heard it was very competitive, but I guess I can always apply early and if I don't get in the first year I'll be able to shoot for the next.

Good idea about the wildlife internship. I'll have to ask them what they think.