ADEA recommended courses section. Worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aiikookie

PrePod
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So looking at ADEA Dental School Explorer, they have a Recommended section for courses that are recommended to take before enrolling in such dental school. What does recommended mean? Does it mean it will make you more competitive than those who didnt take those recommended courses, or is it just a way for the dental school to say take these courses so you dont struggle in dental school? Is it worth taking those recommended courses?

Members don't see this ad.

I can attest to the recommended courses helping you a ton once you actually get to dental school. I know a ton of people don't take microbiology, and I did. Definitely recommend microbiology and some sort of anatomy course (I never took one) in addition to all the normal pre-requisites.

Reactions: 1 user
good thing microbiology is required for my degree! I finished all my prereqs except physics 1,2. So are you saying those recommended courses are there to help you only and not to make you stand out as a student?

I wouldn't say you would stand out unless your major is something different than human physiology, biology, or chemistry. There are a few unusual majors that stand out to committees. But excel in one of the basic majors and you will be just fine.