Adequacy of Pharmacist Supply: 2004-2030

Started by RxWildcat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RxWildcat

Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is a report from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration on the outlook of demand for pharmacists. It has some pretty interesting numbers, probably worth checking out if you think the sky is falling and you won't be able to find a job when you graduate.

LINK
 
The overall conclusion of this study is that the Nation has responded to earlier predictions of a growing shortfall of pharmacists, and to market forces that have raised pharmacist earnings, by expanding supply and increasing the use of technology and technicians. Still, the increase in supply will only be sufficient to keep pace with a rising demand due to changing demographics. Supply would need to increase further than currently projected to meet the demand caused by growth in per capita consumption of pharmaceuticals. Improvements in productivity through further employment of pharmacy aides and technicians and the application of evolving technologies should continue to help the supply meet these increases in demand.
 
I'm sure these "new" programs will use this as fuel for their reason we should open another school in xyz city.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
good report. I think it was well informed. I am satified that they acknowledge that the numbers have changed dramatically for reasons mentioned.
 
Interesting site. It has info on physicians as well, found out that female physicians on average see patients 15% less than male physicians when all else is equal. lol, gender stereotypes are fun when they're true.

Lucky for me the number of radiologists is expected to be the same in 2020 as now. That means more cha-ching for me. :meanie:
 
There are lots of "uncertainties" in the report..
It depends on the unpredictable directions of the pharmacy profession..
 
I liked the fact that the article actually acknowledged that the amount of women in pharmacy would effect the demand for pharmacists. Heck, I know 3 lady pharmacists off the top of my head that I work with who have no intentions of working after they have kids (and they are baby-crazy right now).




PCPs increasing by 25%? Maybe if they're NPs and not MDs :meanie:
 
Interesting site. It has info on physicians as well, found out that female physicians on average see patients 15% less than male physicians when all else is equal. lol, gender stereotypes are fun when they're true.

Lucky for me the number of radiologists is expected to be the same in 2020 as now. That means more cha-ching for me. :meanie:

Radiology seems to be the way to go in medicine-it's meaningful, 9-5, M-F and the salary is great.
 
Legally you'll always have to have an American physician write off on a diagnosis, so I'm not too concerned. Plus a lot of times a rads guy has to be in the hospital, and there are subspecialties like interventional rads where you perform procedures.

I'm more concerned with turf-warring undereducated NPs than I am Indian docs. Hadn't heard about Australians though, of course I could always take their readings away from them.
 
The report seemed to contradice itself, first proclaiming supply would increasingly outnumber demand by atleast 50,000. Then later it said it would only outstrip demand by 10,000 or so?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The report seemed to contradice itself, first proclaiming supply would increasingly outnumber demand by atleast 50,000. Then later it said it would only outstrip demand by 10,000 or so?

It talks clearly of differing growth scenarios, so no, I do not believe the report contradicts itself.