ADHD Dx online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jxz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your opinions about this:

My take...uhh...even under present circumstances I don’t know if this is a good idea.

Members don't see this ad.

My personal opinion is most standard methods for all mental health diagnoses are subpar. There is an over-reliance on unstructured interviews, which study after study has shown are not reliable. ADHD assessment is particularly poor due to a very large variability in assessment methods (unstructured interviews, self-report forms, full cognitive assessments). There are folks on here that are much more familiar with the best practices for ADHD assessment but if this site does more than use a self-report measure with a semi-structured interview then it may actually improve current practices in the community.

I just have no idea what they are doing.

No, this is just more of the same, you fill out some online questionnaires, likely straight symptom checklists, I doubt there are validity checks. This is essentially just a piece of paper that people pay for so that they can go to their doctor and get a stimulant.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you read the dsm, it specifically states that adult recall of childhood is unreliable and a third party report is highly recommended.

And the literature shows limited effectiveness of stimulants after a relatively brief period of time. Likewise the literature shows that the amphetamine class of stimulants does not improve actual performance in non adhd samples, but it does improve a subjective sense of performance.

But helping people get on amphetamines is a good idea, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Likewise the literature shows that the amphetamine class of stimulants does not improve actual performance in non adhd samples, but it does improve a subjective sense of performance.

Interesting! Do you have a cite?

Interesting! Do you have a cite?

There is an emerging body of literature on this. Lakhan is a decent but outdated review.

Arria, A. M., et al. (2017). "Do college students improve their grades by using prescription stimulants nonmedically?" Addict Behav 65: 245-249

Lakhan, S. E. and A. Kirchgessner (2012). "Prescription stimulants in individuals with and without attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: misuse, cognitive impact, and adverse effects." Brain and behavior 2(5): 661-677.

Weyandt, L. L., et al. (2018). "Neurocognitive, Autonomic, and Mood Effects of Adderall: A Pilot Study of Healthy College Students." Pharmacy (Basel) 6(3).

Reactions: 4 users
There is an emerging body of literature on this. Lakhan is a decent but outdated review.

Arria, A. M., et al. (2017). "Do college students improve their grades by using prescription stimulants nonmedically?" Addict Behav 65: 245-249

Lakhan, S. E. and A. Kirchgessner (2012). "Prescription stimulants in individuals with and without attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: misuse, cognitive impact, and adverse effects." Brain and behavior 2(5): 661-677.

Weyandt, L. L., et al. (2018). "Neurocognitive, Autonomic, and Mood Effects of Adderall: A Pilot Study of Healthy College Students." Pharmacy (Basel) 6(3).
Incorporating some of these into my ADHD lecture tomorrow. Had the overall message but not all these citations.

Reactions: 1 users

A self-administered dopamine push is a helluva drug

Reactions: 1 user