ADHD Online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mypointlesspov

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was browsing job listings and came across a business called ADHD Online Diagnosis and Treatment. The job listing says:

>Our tried and tested ADHD assessment has become a paradigm shift in helping patients overcome barriers to receiving care. Our patients pay a maximum of $149 out-of-pocket and results are returned to them in three business days. Utilizing the latest technology in asynchronous electronic visits with our proprietary and fully HIPAA compliant EHR solution, our psychologists are able to review cases day or night when their schedules allow.

>Our assessment was created under the intense scrutiny of a licensed psychologist and board-certified physician. We have been peer-reviewed by a reputable ADHD treatment center to ensure we meet or exceed the standard of care. Each assessment is intelligently organized to be simple and highly efficient. Documentation is limited to the click of a few buttons and a short narrative. The entire consult note is generated for you.

>Our psychologists are able to review a typical case in an average of 15 minutes with compensation being a flat fee of $50 per assessment. We handle all billing, patient support, and record management. Simply log in from the comfort of your home or use your no-shows and empty appointment slots to earn as much as $250 per hour or more.

The listing alone rings some alarm bells and when I checked the actual website, I noticed that a lot of the staff came from degree mills. It also says that there's research to back up their assessment methods, but there are no citations on the website that I can see. Has anyone ever heard of this? How can someone review a case in 15 minutes? This sounds insane to me, but if anyone has evidence otherwise I'd love to hear it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
See the fascinating monograph "The Necessity of Acquisition of the Things That By Rights Belong To Me" by Benjamin Franklin and the very relevant rejoinder by W.T. Clan (1991) "On the Monetary Governance of the Totality of my Vicinity"

seriously, I'm only psychology-adjacent but I can't see a way that this is not just an attempt to capitalize on the tele-stimulant pill mills that have popped up since tele exploded.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They don't cite evidence, because there isn't any. Even with comprehensive access to a chart via EMR, 15 mins would not be enough to adequately review history. Furthermore, it seems that there is no clinical interview, merely just looking at how they likely filled out a questionnaire. If I saw someone with something like this on their resume applying for a job that I was involved in the hiring process, I'd throw that application away immediately.

Reactions: 6 users
15 minutes? Yeah no thanks. Not even enough time for a clinical interview, let alone appropriate assessment. This sounds like it's "okay fill out this self-report. You say you have ADHD. Okay I guess you do!"

Reactions: 1 users
Also, $50 per "assessment?" And patients are paying up to $150 cash? Why are they keeping $100 out of that? What is their overhead and what are they providing that justifies taking 2/3 of the fee when everything is done online (e.g., no office so no rent) and the psychologist doing all the work and assuming all the risk?

Is this one of those stings where they offer free boats to nab people with mounds of outstanding parking and traffic tickets?

Reactions: 2 users
I suspect the response to the online, no-interview method might be something along the lines of, "hey, if the patient misrepresents their symptoms on our questionnaire, that's on them, not us."

I suspect that they wouldn’t have any response to the dsm5 requirements to rule out malingering/factious disorder before diagnosing adhd.

And if they say they trust every patient, then I have multiple Jesuses (Jesi?) that the Catholics have dropped the ball on.

Reactions: 5 users
I suspect that they wouldn’t have any response to the dsm5 requirements to rule out malingering/factious disorder before diagnosing adhd.

And if they say they trust every patient, then I have multiple Jesuses (Jesi?) that the Catholics have dropped the ball on.
I mean, you'd have to be cognitively impaired or willfully blind to not see that they're selling a diagnosis and, therefore, better access to stimulant medication and unwarranted accommodations.

Reactions: 1 users