fauowl2315

2+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

Should I inform the schools I am applying to that I have a legitimate ADHD diagnosis and take medication for it?

GBCrzzyy

The moon is just the back of the sun.
2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Status
Medical Student
up to you just don't try and blame any bad grades or low scores on it because that won't fly.

Apr 25, 2014
Florida
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys,

Should I inform the schools I am applying to that I have a legitimate ADHD diagnosis and take medication for it?
Most med schools do drug tests and many ADHD drugs will pop up on the screen. So you might have to make a choice of which is better let them know or be kicked out for a failing drug test. Also, if you hide ADHD and then later want accommodations then it makes your chances go way down. So there's actually no easy answer to your question.\

OP: Just to avoid you being misinformed (as some posters have pointed out), you do not necessarily have to inform schools in the application process paperwork, but depending on quite a few factors you might or might not have to or want to inform them after acceptance.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwgrubbs1s

KYmedic33

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
Just tell them. Why would you not?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

dwgrubbs1s

2+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Like others have replied, they drug test once you get in. It would be better to disclose the condition now that way when amphetamines show up in your system, there is a valid reason for them to be there. They will completely understand and I am sure it will not be an issue.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Nope, but when you matriculate, you must inform student services if you need any accommodations.

Hey guys,

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
Most med schools do drug tests and many ADHD drugs will pop up on the screen. So you might have to make a choice of which is better let them know or be kicked out for a failing drug test. Also, if you hide ADHD and then later want accommodations then it makes your chances go way down. So there's actually no easy answer to your question.
This is statement has inaccuracies in it. The applicant's rights to not tell and not be asked are protected by HIPAA and ADA. He will only need to inform them after acceptance, since he is taking medication (depending on the school).

OP you don't need to inform them pre-acceptance, this is well within you rights. You will most likely need to inform them, after acceptance if you are taking a medication that will show up on the drug screen.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2014
Florida
Status
Medical Student
This is statement has inaccuracies in it. The applicant's rights to not tell and not be asked are protected by HIPAA and ADA. He will only need to inform them after acceptance, since he is taking medication (depending on the school).

OP you don't need to inform them pre-acceptance, this is well within you rights. You will most likely need to inform them, after acceptance if you are taking a medication that will show up on the drug screen.
What is not accurate exactly? I did not say when the OP had to inform the school now in his app or if at all potentially, that is up to the OP. If he does not inform them prior to drug testing then it will raise a huge flag that could result in being booted IF he is taking certain meds (if he's not on those meds then that specifically is a non-issue, as not all ADHD meds will pop on a drug test). I didn't specify meds as that is between the OP and a psychiatrist. They specifically ask if you are on any medication that might interfere with drug testing and you must disclose such, HIPAA or the ADA doesn't protect you from that. Going back later and pursuing accommodations after failing classes is a poor strategy to get support under the ADA, court cases have proven that. Some schools actually have support programs in place to aid those with disabilities so that they can succeed and hiding a disability means you don't get those supports. So there is no simple yes or no answer as to when, if, or not at all.

samac

2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student
What is not accurate exactly? I did not say when the OP had to inform the school now in his app or if at all potentially, that is up to the OP. If he does not inform them prior to drug testing then it will raise a huge flag that could result in being booted IF he is taking certain meds (if he's not on those meds then that specifically is a non-issue, as not all ADHD meds will pop on a drug test). I didn't specify meds as that is between the OP and a psychiatrist. They specifically ask if you are on any medication that might interfere with drug testing and you must disclose such, HIPAA or the ADA doesn't protect you from that. Going back later and pursuing accommodations after failing classes is a poor strategy to get support under the ADA, court cases have proven that. Some schools actually have support programs in place to aid those with disabilities so that they can succeed and hiding a disability means you don't get those supports. So there is no simple yes or no answer as to when, if, or not at all.
It's misinformation because you're saying they have to make the choice to tell now or their chances go down of accommodations.
Op was asking before school.
Op does not need to disclose info now

Apr 25, 2014
Florida
Status
Medical Student
It's misinformation because you're saying they have to make the choice to tell now or their chances go down of accommodations.
Op was asking before school.
Op does not need to disclose info now
I didn't say "now" and discussed around drug testing time which is after acceptance...but yes I agree I could have clarified my statement more to more directly address OP's question. OP doesn't have to disclose now or potentially even under certain circumstances ever.

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
As stated above, OP is stating pre-acceptance. If this were post-acceptance, then your statement is true. OP doesn't understand the intricacies of this process of revealing a disability. So it is important to map out each step. Otherwise, he or she could volunteer information when not needed and hurt his or her chances of acceptance.

Peach Newport

board certified in jewish dermatology
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2014
Status
Medical Student
This shouldn't even be a discussion. It's pretty straightforward.

There is absolutely no reason to inform a school about ADHD during the application process, meds or not. You gain NOTHING and it can only hurt you. At best, it will raise the question "why is the applicant telling us this peice of irrelevent, personal information?" I cannot fathom a good reason to tell them this. It will not make bad grades look better, it will look like an excuse (and a bad one at that). Unless having ADHD was the first step on an impressive personal journey to discovering medicine, there's no reason to talk about it.

HOWEVER, AFTER acceptance, IF/WHEN you are drug tested, only THEN should you disclose the medication you are taking.

Also, what Goro said.

Last edited:

NSOLOGIST

2+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I certainly wouldn't think it's anyone's business but yours and your doctor's. HIPPA laws should protect you from having to disclose this to med schools. I read about a bipolar student in med school recently. I wonder if that student disclosed that she was bipolar prior to getting enrolled at a school. I can't find the article right now.
To my understanding, with most all non-medical jobs, if you take a drug test for employment and afterward fail for a prescription drug, a doctor will call you to ascertain if you have a prescription or not. If you do, then no problem.
I think the consensus is to be very cautious about disclosing issues early on that might hurt your chances. Perhaps call some med school advisors in far-away states to get a gauge for what is expected.

Ateleryx

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I certainly wouldn't think it's anyone's business but yours and your doctor's. HIPPA laws should protect you from having to disclose this to med schools. I read about a bipolar student in med school recently. I wonder if that student disclosed that she was bipolar prior to getting enrolled at a school. I can't find the article right now.
To my understanding, with most all non-medical jobs, if you take a drug test for employment and afterward fail for a prescription drug, a doctor will call you to ascertain if you have a prescription or not. If you do, then no problem.
I think the consensus is to be very cautious about disclosing issues early on that might hurt your chances. Perhaps call some med school advisors in far-away states to get a gauge for what is expected.
Agree with this as it's exactly what happened when getting my current job. Take the test, they'll call you from the testing site, you give them your prescription number from the bottle, and you're good to go.

RNtoMD87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Feb 24, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
People saying you better tell them ahead of time- as long as he can provide the prescription whenever he tests positive, he will be fine.

also amphetamines aren't the only treatment for adhd. Also have sNRIs

Magus5454

MS2 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
People saying you better tell them ahead of time- as long as he can provide the prescription whenever he tests positive, he will be fine.

also amphetamines aren't the only treatment for adhd. Also have sNRIs
They are saying tell them ahead of time if they are wanting testing accommodations. Not because of drug testing

Reactions: RNtoMD87

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
ya'll necro'd an almost 2 year old post.

PRE admission, there's no reason to disclose.

POST admission, pre-matriculation - disclose for drug test

Matriculation - let student services know if there's an accommodation requirement (separate/quiet testing space, extra time).

FWIW, ADHD does explain poor grades as it's one of the first indicators. However, saying that without documentation, won't fly.

RNtoMD87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Feb 24, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Hmm im surprised. I wonder how my narcolepsy diagnosis would go for explaining my poor grades pre diagnosis....

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hmm im surprised. I wonder how my narcolepsy diagnosis would go for explaining my poor grades pre diagnosis....
I don't know, I don't have narcolepsy.

RNtoMD87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Feb 24, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a medical diagnosis, but every since i started eating unprocessed foods I've actually slept at night, and not fallen asleep randomly during the day. Big part of why my college GPA a decade ago was 2.35 or so, and recently, 4.0. Wonder if I should mention it at all or just let my improved grades speak for themselves.

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Again, I can't speak to narcolepsy and it's consideration by any school at any level for any purpose. What I can speak to is how undiagnosed/untreated ADHD has affected my entire life - in school, post school, in career and what having the diagnosis + medication + other things has systemically changed my life, not just my grades.

And even the ADHD is not mentioned except for very briefly in my PS. and I mean "very" briefly - two words, to be exact.

Reactions: Aquarius9017