Adjustment disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you generally diagnose when someone's symptoms feel like an adjustment d/o (i.e. abrupt onset of depression/ anxiety in the context of a divorce/breakup, job loss, deployment, etc without prior psych history), however you technically can't dx adjustment disorder because they meet the lower end of the criteria for another diagnosis (MDE, panic disorder, etc)? I feel like we are overdiagnosing those latter diagnoses when it is more characteristic of an adjustment d/o, and I'm torn on how strictly to interpret DSM-5 "rules." I asked my attending about this, and he recommended still diagnosing adjustment disorder because it can greatly affect eligibility for service connection later on if they are Tricare and somewhat misrepresents what is going on in other cases. Curious what others think. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

We all know the DSM-V isn't perfect. Just diagnose with the criteria that best describe the patient, keeping in mind it is generally better to go with the more severe diagnosis of they are an edge case.

Members don't see this ad :)
WisNeuro: yes and no, since we still offer them all the same treatment either way (group and individual therapy, medications).

Reactions: 1 user
WisNeuro: yes and no, since we still offer them all the same treatment either way (group and individual therapy, medications).

I was slightly kidding, only slightly though. I spent a good chunk of my early career in the VA before leaving for greener pastures, I know the system wide issues.

Reactions: 1 user
We all know the DSM-V isn't perfect. Just diagnose with the criteria that best describe the patient, keeping in mind it is generally better to go with the more severe diagnosis of they are an edge case.

DSM V is there just to make $$$ it's far from perfect.

If it's acute and you can link the onset to a specific stressor, I'd go with adjustment.