Admission concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmd2010

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys do you guys think a 4 in verbal (10's in other sections) would get me a shot at a do school? i have 3.5 both science and overall

Members don't see this ad.

docmd2010 said:
hey guys do you guys think a 4 in verbal (10's in other sections) would get me a shot at a do school? i have 3.5 both science and overall

It's possible but I think they'll question why such a low score and why so different from your others. If you got 10's in the other sections then it seems you have verbal skills. What happened?

docmd2010 said:

I think you might have a shot--a 4 b/c of bubbling errors you noticed but didn't have time to change them, ran out of time? It can be explained.

Members don't see this ad :)
most schools have a minimum section score. There maybe a few that do not.

docmd2010 said:

honestly i don't think you're gonna get far with a 4 in verbal reasoning. unless english is a second language.

if you could get that 4 up to a 7 or 8, you would be in much better shape.

were there extinuating circumstances during the test or something?

s

docmd2010 said:

No. The verbal is the most important section. They can teach you the science in medical school. Your communication skills and ability to read & write must already be present.

Unless it was a bubbeling mistake, someone with a 4 should not be allowed in. Sorry

I remembered seeing a 4 on VR on mdapplicants.com getting accepted. If you have the cash it doesn't hurt to play this admission game. You never know.

hope this helps, but i got in with a 5 in verbal (PS:11, BS:9). I also have received 5 interviews. And know I don't have incredible EC's, just spent plenty of time on the personal statement to show that I can communicate effectively.

FS-Pro said:
hope this helps, but i got in with a 5 in verbal (PS:11, BS:9). I also have received 5 interviews. And know I don't have incredible EC's, just spent plenty of time on the personal statement to show that I can communicate effectively.

You have high science scores though. Regardless, if you have a good excuse that is fine, but I would still retake it. It just doesn't look good.

USArmyDoc said:
You have high science scores though. Regardless, if you have a good excuse that is fine, but I would still retake it. It just doesn't look good.

I would apply this cycle (I am assuming you didn't retake in August b/c scores haven't been released yet) and have a good excuse for such a low score. You obviously can read/understand English b/c most of the sections are reading passages. The 3.5 ave GPA is pretty good. If you don't get in this cycle, retake and reapply. I didn't score below a 7 in any section, but my MCAT score is low. If I don't get in, I will retake.

Hi

Your post really touched me because I am in the exact situation. I scored a 4 on verbal with an overall score of a 22Q (4V-8P-10B). I retook the August 2005 MCAT. I have been accepted to WVSOM. My gpa is 3.91 overall and 3.94 science. I would advise you to apply to WVSOM as soon as possible and have faith in God that you will be accepted. If he did it for me, he will surely do it for you.

Miss155 said:
Hi

Your post really touched me because I am in the exact situation. I scored a 4 on verbal with an overall score of a 22Q (4V-8P-10B). I retook the August 2005 MCAT. I have been accepted to WVSOM. My gpa is 3.91 overall and 3.94 science. I would advise you to apply to WVSOM as soon as possible and have faith in God that you will be accepted. If he did it for me, he will surely do it for you.

I assume you had to explain your reason for a 4 in verbal thought, right? Is English your second language or did you have a bubbling error, etc?

Hi

I had a bubbling error on that section. They asked me and I explained my situation.

Miss155 said:
Hi

I had a bubbling error on that section. They asked me and I explained my situation.

It makes sense. I am sure the OP had a bubbling error to. I can understand an acceptance then.

reeeeeeeetake. the sciences are fine, if it was a bubbling error verbal is fine so prep would be minimal. just enough to maintain. then you'd be golden! the 4 will seriously, seriously limit you i think.