Admission question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanderboots

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone know if there is a requirement for how recently you must have taken the prerequisites for vet school when you apply? For example, someone completes undergrad and took pre-vet classes, then works for a few years, then later decides that they really do want to apply to vet school. Would the person have to go back to college and take the prereq's again? Thanks. And, if this doesn't quite make sense, let me know, and I will try to clarify. :)

Members don't see this ad.

vanderboots said:
Hi. Does anyone know if there is a requirement for how recently you must have taken the prerequisites for vet school when you apply? For example, someone completes undergrad and took pre-vet classes, then works for a few years, then later decides that they really do want to apply to vet school. Would the person have to go back to college and take the prereq's again? Thanks. And, if this doesn't quite make sense, let me know, and I will try to clarify. :)

A lot of schools require that you have taken the required science courses at least within the last five years. I suggest contacting the schools you are interested in for more detailed info pertaining specifically to each school. Or if you don't already have it already, try ordering the VMSAR book from Purdue Press at http://www.thepress.purdue.edu. The book costs about $17 and contains detailed requirements for all of the vet schools in North America and I believe most of the AVMA accredited schools abroad as well.

Or as another option try checking the AAVMC website at aavmc.org. lClick on "VMCAS", then "College Specifications Requirements" and then "College Specifications". Each school has a short PDF file on its requirements, but I'm not sure whether it states the time limit on required courses. Hope that helps.

A

There is no time limit for the completion of prerequisites at Davis. They accepted my courses that I completed 10 years ago, and now I am starting school this fall.

good luck!

Eva

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Ohio State is fine with things as long as they have been completed within the past 10 years.

I hope that helps!

evica26 said:
There is no time limit for the completion of prerequisites at Davis. They accepted my courses that I completed 10 years ago, and now I am starting school this fall.

good luck!

Eva

Is it the same way with the GRE?

Thanks for the help!

I believe for pretty much all programs (not just vet) that scores are considered "expired" after 5 years. They will still show up when your new scores are submitted, but I don't think the old scores will be accepted. To be safe though, you might want to check with the schools you are applying to.

Jen

vanderboots said:

Thanks for the help!

vanderboots said:

Thanks for the help!

GRE is different now because of the new format (written analytical portion). If you have not taken the new version of the GRE, most likely you will have to retake it.