Admission vs Observation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BAM!

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone please explain the difference between observation & admission status? I guess there are some new rules where the admitting doctor has to explain to the patient why they are NOT being admitted if they are placed under observation.

Ideally, I'd like to understand it under the context of different insurances, Private PPO, HMO, Medicare, Medicaid. And how it affects the hospital, ED physician, and patient.

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

whoa... you are opening up a complex can of worms. The rules are constantly changing...

medicare has the strictest rules. 2 midnights to qualify as an inpatient. obs and admission pts are treated the same way at my gig. we do have an ED OU which does expedite treatment and dispo for straight forward diagnosis. for medicare obs status pt pay about $450 plus full retail cost of medications. In pt depends on specifics but i think its about 20% copay unless deductible reached. T procedures also make billing very complex. Perhaps someone has a better pulse on this but i doubt its a clinical doc.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Still pretty mysterious to me. I've had cases where I admitted a patient as Obs status, they went home the next day, but I was still sent a notification that the patient qualified for Inpatient status because of their creatinine or whatever such nonsense.

For now, I'm doing my best to just ignore this. Make my best guess and move on.

Members don't see this ad :)
We pretty much stick to the two midnight rule at our shop. The conversation is had when admitting the patient between myself and the admitting doc, I place an order to admit to inpatient/observation and that's all I hear about it

Complex topic, some basic initial information--

(A) The reason you are hearing about this is an increased CMS focus on the "Medicare Outpatient Observation Notice" (MOON!). Basically a regulation that you must formally, in an organized manner with a standardized paper form, deliver notification to patients that they are in observation status within 24 hours of said observation services starting (though they give a grace period up to 36 hours, unless discharged earlier).

(B)Basically, 3 exits exist for every ED patient (from a billing / status PoV):
(1) Discharged, they get an OUTPATIENT bill for an E&M service. Possibly with critical care charges, or possibly with additional procedure charges. This would include patients TRANSFERRED directly out of your ED, and patients who DIE in your ED.
(2) Admitted to the hospital. You personally would still bill for an ED E&M visit like above, but the patient becomes and INPATIENT when the admitting physician writes that order and the rest of their visit in an INPATIENT visit that bills as such.
(3) Observation! Observation is a STATUS (like inpatient) NOT a location. Observation can happen in the ED, on the wards, or even in the ICU. Observation, while physically seeming like an "admission" to the patient, actually is treated as an OUTPATIENT service as far as insurance coverage! This is why patients often get pissed-- they might have full coverage of inpatient services, but have to pay a 20% coinsurance for outpatient services! NOT FAIR. The concept behind observation is that they don't fit true admission criteria, but also they aren't ready to discharge-- you need a period of observation, further testing, and treatment to figure this out. Of course, its turned into an insane game whereby insurance/gov't declines to pay for services that are felt to be necessary... because they set the rules as to what is observation and what is admission!

(c) Medicare's more recent rules state that the admitting physician has to truly believe that the patient needs two midnights in the hospital to fix their problem (not to wait for an MRI that is only available Monday; Not wait for a PT consult and let Case Management have 3 days to place them) for them to qualify as an admission.

(D) On top of that TWO MIDNIGHT rule, most common commercial insurance will follow published guidelines as to what de facto meets inpatient criteria, and what only gets observation coverage. McKesson’s InterQual Criteria is one of the major guidelines.

(E) For example, if I came in with cellulitis on my shin, that doesn't meet inpatient criteria. However if the cellulitis covers >50% of my limb, or I've been on outpatient abx for >48hr and am failing them... well that might just check a box and meet inpatient criteria!

(F) and yes you can bill for observation in the ED. Some common reasons are intoxication, chest pain requiring serial enzymes and stress testing, severe dehydration requiring extended therapy, unstable psych disease, etc etc. You need to be in the ED across a midnight, or >4/6/8hr (depending on insurance!) to fit criteria for this...

Why does it matter? Frankly, aside from ED-based observation pathways, it doesn't matter directly to the ED physician. But it is very important to the hospital and the inpatient teams, so it matters to us secondarily. For financial reasons, you would want to make sure you get people who deserve/quality for inpatient status into full admissions, instead of observation. Otherwise your hospital is leaving money on the table, and likely patients are bearing increased cost!

If you have serious interest in this, your hospital surely has Case Managers dedicated to the task who would love to guide you, and a Utilization Management Committee which is likely active on the topic...

Reactions: 1 users
The blame game for loss of revenue due to admission status....gotta love how hospital admin tries to finger the ONE doc out of the whole bunch who does not even have admitting privileges. I always point the finger back to where it belongs...the doc accepting/admitting the pt. I put in my note "Consulted Dr. Confused. Dr. Confused requests admit to telemetry or admit to obs med/surg, etc.."

Done. If they try to finger you later as the one responsible for wrong admission status, you can just say you were doing what the admitting doc requested. How on earth are you supposed to know how many tests the hospitalist is going to run or how long they are going to take? They can either hire a full time ED case manager or train the hospitalist to know what status to request but it's ridiculous to try to blame the ED doc IMO.

The whole ballgame is ridiculous IMO.

"Hiring a full-time ED case manager" does nothing but drive up the cost of the visit (and healthcare at large) because you're involving yet another "manager" to "manage" things that would otherwise never need to be "managed" if the payors actually paid for what they were contracted to pay for.

Before anyone says "U nOOb! It duznt work that way lolz!" - yes, I understand the payor viewpoint as well - but I'm not sympathetic to it. Maybe there are other ways for them to save money.

The three biggest areas of "fraud, waste, and abuse" (which is such a catchy term, I'm not sure if I've heard that before) in my book are:

1. Administrative salaries and numbers of redundant positions.
- I'm not sure which "forum elder" said it last week, but it was a hot knife of truth; "from a LEAN perspective, administrators add zero value to the whole process." I could expound so much on this. I "played along at home" as my wife had to go thru the Lean-Kaizen training dance not long ago. I was coincidentally off a lot of that time. I'm so glad I had lots of booze in the house that week or two.
- Veers said it years ago, and I'll never forget it: "When I was with CMG123, we watched them hire a "director of diversity". Their mission was to "promote diversity". When I asked what exactly that meant, I got cold looks."

2. Futile end of life care.
- As the de facto community geriatrician, I bear witness to this atrocity every day. Its worse in other places, so I hear. All day long, between eleventeen nursing homes... I get innumerable patients who:

* Have altered mental status... characterized by "patient has smelly fartz, lolz." (I seriously had a patient sent because "the nightshift nurse noted that there might have been blood in the stool." Guaiac negative. 4000 dollar ambulance ride/visit. Had another patient for "suspected SBO; passing lots of gas". Patient took a "big healthy" while in department. DC back to "DeathAcres NH.") "Thank you; please drive thru."
* Pulled out PEG tube. Again. Can't put it back in ourselves. "Thank you; please drive thru."
* "Abnormal labs" (OMG! Grandma's renal failure and anemia are still the same!!") "Thank you; please drive thru."
* - and my all time favorite "Medical Eval" (family just wants them to "see a doctor". Unclear as to why.) "Thank you; please drive thru."

3. Med.mal
- This goes way deeper than "insurance premiums are big lolz". There's man-hours lost to work, expert witnesses making mad cash to say what is convenient.... goddamned attorneys and their "expenses".

This list was hastily thrown together, but whatever. I welcome criticism. Its late, and I'm gonna crash hard.

Reactions: 3 users
insane game whereby insurance/gov't declines to pay for services that are felt to be necessary... because they set the rules as to what is observation and what is admission!

Thanks for the McKesson’s InterQual Criteria reference. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that capitalism has found yet another way to make a buck off of telling doctors how to practice.

Where can I find a free list of what constitutes admission / observation. I imagine CMS has a list somewhere. Or does Medicare/Medicaid contract this list out to private health companies?

It seems very strange that there are CMS rules that doctors need to follow guidelines/criteria that may not be free and public...

Looking through the above INTERQUAL CRITERIA website makes me want to vomit. It always makes me sick when I see unfounded claims that they can achieve better patient outcomes by buying their products without any clear proof. It makes me sick that they are profiting through limiting health care against doctors' advice while shifting expenses to patients and away from some of the riches mega-corporations to ever exist. It makes me sick that the have "patented" patient specific care plans. Could you imagine Wells patenting his Wells Criteria for PE?

Truly disturbing...

Here's an excerpt from their website:

Provide the most appropriate high-quality care
All payers and providers want to deliver the highest quality, most appropriate care while eliminating waste. InterQual® Criteria helps you get better patient outcomes with evidence‐based, clinical decision support.

InterQual’s comprehensive portfolio includes four content suites:
  • InterQual Level of Care Criteria Assess the safest and most efficient care level based on severity of illness, comorbidities and complications, and the intensity of services being delivered. Our criteria cover more than 95% of admission reasons for any level of care.
  • InterQual Care Planning Criteria Identify when imaging studies, procedures, DME, MDx tests, specialty pharmacy medications and specialty referral consultations are appropriate.
  • InterQual Behavioral Health Criteria Manage the delivery of mental health and substance use care, including initial and concurrent level‐of‐care decisions.
  • InterQual Coordinated Care Content Generate a patient‐specific care plan for complex cases and high‐risk members with our patented blended assessment.

Last edited:
This stuff is reality.
You need to know this stuff to make sure the hospital will get paid for admissions.

If you don't like it, you can work to try to get regulations changed.

Reactions: 1 user