Aug 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
We've all heard the stories. A 4.0 23 DAT being passed up by the same school which accepted the 3.4 20 DAT for no apparent reason. People say that Dental/Med/Pharm/Whatever school can be a crapshoot at times, accounting for so many variables that it actually borders complete randomness or luck. There are too many ways for it to go wrong that those of us who make it seem to have slipped through the cracks by sheer coincidence more so than anything else.

What if the school decided that it had enough 4.0s and that it needed to choose a 3.0 over you to even out the ratio? What if the Adcom was biased in favor of Mormons/Asians/Hot Girls/some other minority group and decided that they wanted to chose one of them over you? What if one of your professors or employers secretly bad mouths you (obviously without a rebuttle to their claims from your side) and that flushes away every other credential you've spent the better part of four years trying to achieve?

I know that these are all "what ifs" but these are exactly the type of scenarios which keep me on edge. It seems like there are so many similar applicants along ALL standards of measure that it really comes down to the ridiculous criterion mentioned above which determines who gets in and who gets left out. Anyone else feel like this or am I just getting crazier as Dec 1st draws nearer? I really REALLY hope I get in but it seems completely up in the air at this point. Anything is possible and with only two pre-Dec interviews I'm starting to lose my nerve.

Aug 4, 2010
Morgantown, WV
Status
Pre-Dental
And don't forget the age-old argument: "You might have the greatest stats in the world, but there are people being interviewed whose parents donate lots of money to that school....It's all political." I can't count how many times I've heard that. It's the single-most thing that keeps me awake at nights....:scared:

nlbaker7

5+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2010
Status
Save your worries for stuff you can at least control boss

but your best app forward and hope for the best, its all you can do!

Maygyver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
If adcoms are looking for hot chicks, I think I've got it in the bag. But seriously, don't worry. At this point there is nothing you can do, and it's close enough that you don't really have to 'wait' at all. Go watch a movie and find someone to do for a few more nights and then it's Decision day!

yappy

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Have a fling with a hot girl for a week or two.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
If adcoms are looking for hot chicks, I think I've got it in the bag. But seriously, don't worry. At this point there is nothing you can do, and it's close enough that you don't really have to 'wait' at all. Go watch a movie and find someone to do for a few more nights and then it's Decision day!
Maygyver... you are a chick? Didn't know that

JimiHendrix630

JimiHendrix630
Oct 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
@OP. Those stories are true, but most of the time the 4.0 student has no personality what so ever or the 3.0 student has made it through some tough circumstances.

Feb 6, 2010
Alabama
Status
Pre-Dental
From what I've heard once in dental school it's not so much just being brilliant at didactics, but having strong work ethic and good social skills... shifting towards what will be important in your practice when you graduate.