Admissions criteria

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paisdais

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all...long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm a newbie bio major on my school's predent program track.

I am taking chemistry and a chemistry lab. Lab is NOT required for the chemistry class at my university. What are your thoughts on taking only the chemistry class? Do you think it looks better to dental schools that I attempted the chem lab and say, got a B or a C or not having it factor into my GPA at all? I'm not really banking on acing this lab course.

Do most schools prefer labs with the courses? The dental schools I will apply to are only in the midwest...so perhaps someone from OSU and the likes could give me some insight? I have until the 15th to decide if I want to drop the lab or not.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

For Ohio State, labs are required for both Inorganic Chemistry and Organic Chemistry if you are planning on applying there. Other Schools in the midwest:
UMKC - Required for both
Creighton - Required for both
Marquette - Required for both
Louisville - Required for both
Kentucky - Required for both

Usually schools also want 2 semesters worth of each Inorganic and Organic chemistry's as well, plus labs. Hope this helps.

most schools require labs that go w/ your biology, chemistry and physics courses. buy the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools and there are breakdown comparison charts that tell you if labs are required.

Members don't see this ad :)
most schools require labs that go w/ your biology, chemistry and physics courses. buy the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools and there are breakdown comparison charts that tell you if labs are required.
yeah....all dental schools are going to require a lab with these courses.....you can also just go to their website and look at the dental school admissions requirements

there is no question about it. You will not fulfill prereq requirements if you don't take labs.

Plus gen chem lab is usually really easy, so why wouldn't you want to bolster your GPA?

Also, I don't think most schools will see you got a C in it and cancel it from your GPA because "it's just a lab." In general, you need to do well in all your classes, not just the required ones.