Admissions Perspectives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAveragePreMed

Reaction score
Need an admissions officers perspective on how you guys would look at a post bacc/SMP of a student who performed well in it 3.5+ but has below a 3.0 undergrad GPA but with an MCAT score of a 505+? Curious to know what would go through admissions minds when going through that type of students application.

Members don't see this ad.

Not an adcom, but specific details about your academic history are needed to help you.

A post-bacc is very different from an SMP.

What do you actually mean "+3.5" GPA? 3.6 or 3.9? Same applies for MCAT score. It goes without saying that a 506 is vastly different from a 513.

The SDN consensus is that adcoms look favorably upon students who have a strong upward trend in their GPA for several semesters as a full-time student.

A GPA below 3.0 will screen you out from most schools, MD and DO. It is crucial that you continue taking classes to push past 3.0.

Not an adcom, but specific details about your academic history are needed to help you.

What do you actually mean "+3.5" GPA? 3.6 or 3.9? Same applies for MCAT score. It goes without saying that a 506 is vastly different from a 513.

The SDN consensus is that adcoms look favorably upon students who have a strong upward trend in their GPA for several semesters as a full-time student.

A GPA below 3.0 will screen you out from most schools, MD and DO. It is crucial that you continue taking classes to push past 3.0.
To add to this. Some schools have a hard 3.0 screen. Others have a soft or holistic approach. If you don't get your overall GPA > 3.0, make sure to apply strategically.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Need an admissions officers perspective on how you guys would look at a post bacc/SMP of a student who performed well in it 3.5+ but has below a 3.0 undergrad GPA but with an MCAT score of a 505+? Curious to know what would go through admissions minds when going through that type of students application.
Fine for DO, but will need an MCAT retake and score > 510 for your state MD school, and > 513 for other MD. And keep in mind that not all MD schools reward reinvention (although a sizable number do!)

Fine for DO, but will need an MCAT retake and score > 510 for your state MD school, and > 513 for other MD. And keep in mind that not all MD schools reward reinvention (although a sizable number do!)
Thank you Goro! I love your perspective on these matters!

Reactions: 1 user

I'm' in a similar situation...low undergrad GPA but 4.0 post-bacc...do you think ADCOMS will look at me unfavorably because I wasn't enrolled full-time?

I took the pre-requisite courses part-time while volunteering, doing research, and shadowing. Currently in my last course (biochemistry). Do you think ADCOMS will look at this unfavorably? I had to pay for school myself so I didn't see the point in paying for extra classes that wouldn't benefit me. My busiest semester I was taking chemistry and physics but I took Organic Chemistry by itself since I didn't need any other classes to fulfill requirements.

I'm' in a similar situation...low undergrad GPA but 4.0 post-bacc...do you think ADCOMS will look at me unfavorably because I wasn't enrolled full-time?

I took the pre-requisite courses part-time while volunteering, doing research, and shadowing. Currently in my last course (biochemistry). Do you think ADCOMS will look at this unfavorably?

To clarify--no, adcoms will not look at it unfavorably.

I'll put it this way:
Reinvention as full-time student > Reinvention as part-time student >>>>>>>>>> No reinvention and low GPA.

Reactions: 1 users