Admissions question for MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

escarabajo1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just wanted advice from people who are already in Medical school (either MD or MD/PhD program).
I am a minority, and currently I am persuing a M.S. in Biotech while working in research at JHU. I was a transfer student and although my cumulative GPA is 3.6. I have a couple of C; one in analytical chem, and one in arts). In addition I did very poorly in an honors class since I had to work full time while I was in my junior year. I have extensive research experiences from NIH and JHU, and I have two science papers. I have a lot of volunteer work. I have been discourage by a lot of ppl because they say that those Cs will affect my admissions to top schools.
How much would those grades affect? Could someone who has already been through the admissions process tell me their own experience?
P.S. I got a 37 on my MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

Those grades will not have any major effect on your MD-PhD application, especially if they are in the past (ie, undergrad rather than your MS). Your MD-PhD application will live or die by the quality of your research and letters of recommendation.

Edit: I will disclaimer this by saying I myself am not an MD-PhD applicant, but I have many friends who are MD-PhD students and I have extensive experience in academic research.

Since you are a minority you are screwed.

/end sarcasm

Your grades are fine, apply broadly and you will get in. I am not sure what you consider "top schools", but I would wager those stats could get into almost any program in the state of ohio, which is what I am familiar with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question of clarification: did you mean 2 papers published by the journal "science" or two scientific papers published in other journals?

Being a minority will only help your application, provided it meets federal qualifications. Based on what you've stated, you should do rather well, IMHO.