Admissions question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jodom55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This fall I am retaking classes to raise my pre-req gpa. The outcome of these classes is what will make me eligible to apply to certain schools. Will I automatically be rejected if I turn in my application before I receive my grade from these classes? The school has deadlines in October and January, and I would have my grades by the January deadline. I just didn't want to risk the class being full before I turned in my application. Thanks for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

I would wait for you to receive your grades. Yes the class might be full by that time but you won't get accepted if you don't meet the requirements :(
What matters is whether or not you meet the requirements AT THE TIME THAT THEY RECEIVE YOUR APPLICATION. That would be the first thing schools do to cut down the number of applications. If the school requires a 3.0 to apply but you apply with a 2.9, your application most likely won't even get consideration :/
Maybe target schools with lower GPA requirements?

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, you will probably get rejected automatically if you apply without the grade. This happened to me my first time applying. Wait for the grade if you aren't eligible now.

Reactions: 1 user
This fall I am retaking classes to raise my pre-req gpa. The outcome of these classes is what will make me eligible to apply to certain schools. Will I automatically be rejected if I turn in my application before I receive my grade from these classes? The school has deadlines in October and January, and I would have my grades by the January deadline. I just didn't want to risk the class being full before I turned in my application. Thanks for your responses!

It depends on when they receive the application and when they want to make a decision on it. It also depends on how many other applications they receive. They may decline it if it doesn't meet the requirements at the time they need to make the decision. One option is to contact the school and explain your situation and ask their opinion on what you should do. Submit now or wait until you have your coursework complete. They may prefer to hold your verified application until they receive your coursework or prefer to receive it once it meets the standards. Our program would prefer to receive the application first, put it in a hold status until the coursework was done, then decide on it at a later date once we see the academic update on it. The time to receive verified PTCAS applications can vary through the admission cycle and waiting on submitting may become problematic if you are anticipating getting your application verified in 3 wks and it really may take 5 wks--possibly putting you beyond your target date.

Hope this helps you, good luck.