Admittance into NOVA southeastern DPT program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea, I have but I'm not sure where my girlfriend and I should live. South Florida can be very deceiving. East/West of certain streets are great to live while other parts aren't. How about you, any luck?

Members don't see this ad.

Still in the process. I have heard that the area north of campus is good; south, not so much. I might try to get in to Rolling Hills, if it is available. No matter what, I want to live with other people in the program. I'm moving 1250 miles south from PA, so it might be a bit difficult to find roommates. Hopefully Nova gets the program set up (scheduling, classmates, whatnot) so I can get the ball rolling on this ASAP. Do you know when they will let us know what's going on with the program? I feel like they've left us in the dark about when this will happen.

Does anyone know a good person to talk to at Nova? When I call to check on the status of my application, no one seems to know anything. I have sent my supplemental app and $. They sent me a pin number, but I don't see that it provides me with any information. One person today said now I need to send a resume. Did anyone else need to do this after sending the PTCAS and supplemental apps??

Again, wow...I could use help getting to a person who actually knows what is going on...I was transferred at least 3 times.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apptired-I think you just wait now until they email you about a phone interview..which will be the day after the email, so be prepared. I had a similar issue with getting in contact with someone to check my application status so I called everyday for a 2 weeks. I had my phone interview March 8th and they told me 4-6 weeks to hear back. Good luck!!!

Still in the process. I have heard that the area north of campus is good; south, not so much. I might try to get in to Rolling Hills, if it is available. No matter what, I want to live with other people in the program. I'm moving 1250 miles south from PA, so it might be a bit difficult to find roommates. Hopefully Nova gets the program set up (scheduling, classmates, whatnot) so I can get the ball rolling on this ASAP. Do you know when they will let us know what's going on with the program? I feel like they've left us in the dark about when this will happen.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. I moving down south as well and the fact that the program starts in less than 12 weeks made me think really hard about giving up my other seats that were offered to me. But in the end the itch to move to S.Florida was too good to pass up. I'm assuming we should know everything by the end of April. By then, they'll know who's accepted the seat and they will probably receive all transcripts, fees, etc.

Hi!

I'm out of state and just received news on Monday for an interview next Monday. Any advice on those who had the telephone interview?

Any questions you remember? I'm extremely nervous as this is my first interview!

Those who have accepted, why did you choose NOVA over other PT schools?

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Hi!

I'm out of state and just received news on Monday for an interview next Monday. Any advice on those who had the telephone interview?

Any questions you remember? I'm extremely nervous as this is my first interview!

Those who have accepted, why did you choose NOVA over other PT schools?

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Hey Smiley-Did Nova tell you how long they would take to reply or if they are still accepting people?

I got a call out of the blue today from Nova for a phone interview for the hybrid program. I was surprised because there was no e-mail or anything to set it up; I was getting ready for work but luckily I think well on my feet.
If I get into the hybrid program I'm going to do it. I'll be able to work, which I need to do, and they're known to have an excellent program. My other choice would be to retake physics and the GRE (I had an 1140) and re-apply to UCF for next year. But I could start NSU now, graduate the same as if I wait a year for UCF, and would have to be poor and starving to attend UCF.
She said that the admissions team would meet again by early next week. Here's hoping!

So I found out today that I was waitlisted. Anyone else in this position? How late would I find out if I got in? Any advice?

So I found out today that I was waitlisted. Anyone else in this position? How late would I find out if I got in? Any advice?
Did you get waitlisted for Ft L or Tampa?
I got a call last week that I'm in the hybrid program (whew) and need to send a deposit by May 4, but haven't received a letter or anything yet. The hybrid program received its full accreditation and I think it's pretty exciting to be part of a new program, using all brand new labs and equipment. Everyone that I've spoken to over there has been VERY nice and I'm looking forward to the whole thing.
If anyone else is going to the hybrid program and is interested in rooming together on the weekends on campus (there are some inexpensive hotels), or in sharing driving and gas duties, let me know. I live in the Orlando area and wouldn't mind driving each day if there was a tag-team effort involved. It's about 60-90 minutes, but then again work is only 15 miles away and that can take an hour some days!

Oh so my whole point was to tell you that they may be waiting to see if any of the accepted students don't bother making a deposit, that could mean that they would then call the wait list. My best guess, anyway.

Oh so my whole point was to tell you that they may be waiting to see if any of the accepted students don't bother making a deposit, that could mean that they would then call the wait list. My best guess, anyway.

Thanks! I appreciate it! Well the letter says "hold" but I'm assuming that means waitlisted. It is for the Fort Lauderdale campus and the regular dpt program...they didn't mention the hybrid program at all to me.

Hey guys I'm in the c/o '13( just finished up my first year today actually)...

In regards to living @ Paul/PSU

Personally, I prefer plantation(north of campus) over Davie (south of campus). To name a few nice places that aren't terribly pricey... I would suggest looking into Palm trace ( lots of PT's live in this complex), Polo Glen, the Waves, the Laurels and pretty much anything north of broward in between Universtiy and Pine island.. ALthough the traffic is worse North of campus, there are a lot more amenities (restaurants, shops,grocery stores)..etc

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey i just got accepted into their DPT program but I dint had to give interveiw

My other choice would be to retake physics and the GRE (I had an 1140) and re-apply to UCF for next year. But I could start NSU now, graduate the same as if I wait a year for UCF, and would have to be poor and starving to attend UCF.

Hey CJones is there a significant difference in tuition cost UCF vs. NSU Hybrid? Were you not wanting to use stafford/private loans or is it just minimizing the amount you borrow? It seems unlikely for you to be able to work full time while doing your clinicals regardless where you attend. Just to give you an idea or hope, I got a GRE score of 1140 and was accepted to UCF.

faster: Congrats on admissions. I am still waiting to hear, i was put on the waiting list. were you put on the waiting list or is the first time you heard from Nova?

This school is awful. I have friends in the PT program there, many who wish they had chosen another program. Most of the cirriculum still needs a good polishing before they have a really good doctorate program actually assembled there.

The admissions advisors are all swamped with busy work, and will not get to know you on a personal level, and don't care to. NOVA's goal is to make money and only accept students based on numbers so they have an impeccable 'appearance' which is really all of the mentality of south florida.

I would consider other schools outside of the fort lauderdale area. Traffic is awful on University Ave in the mornings and afternoons, if you live even 5 miles from school it can take upwards of 45+ minutes just to get to campus in your car.

And the cost of living in South Florida is terrible too.. Rent, food, gas, going out! Oy!!! The place is overpopulated.. unless your from the bigger cities and just have to live like that, I would goto USA, FGCU, or UNF before any southern FL school.

Sorry but who are you? I was accepted with a GPA far below the average of accepted students because of other aspects of my application. And why do you need to get to know an admissions counselor on a personal level? I would think you would want to get to know your professors who are actually PTs and can help you learn about the profession. Fort Lauderdale is beautiful why wouldn't you want to live there? Class starts before most of the traffic anyways.. and 45 minutes is a ridiculous overestimate.

Sorry just a different opinion

I completely agree with thesnowbird. I hve had nothing but impersonal interactions with anyone at Nova. Any contact I have had with anyone is through email and all of their responses were short. I asked to get a tour prior to putting down my deposit and got a whole 15 minute walk through of the one building. I went ahead and put down my nonrefundable $1,000 dollar deposit due to not having any other options at that time ( which I think is absurd!!!)

Then, just 2 days ago I received an email that was literally one sentence long that addressed me as Mr. ( I am female and met with the admissions lady in person for my tour.) I think it is important to develop personal relationship with potential students as they are investing their future and money within you and your program. I have had such a bad taste in my mouth about Nova that if I don't get into the other program I am waiting to hear from I will probably just wait and apply next year to other programs just b/c I don't want to go there.

I can say once you have experienced the personability and caring of another program, which I was fortuante enough to interview at one, you understand the value that Nova lacks.

Don't you all think you're being unnecessarily harsh? Maybe they don't have enough staff to deal with the hundreds of applications. Some schools are better equipped than others.

I applied to NOVA SE as well. I still haven't heard back from them, which is irritating, but I assume they have not selected me. I visited South FL in December to interview at UM. The secretary there gave me a tour with another accepted student. We had a chance to see the facilities, and even talk with a couple students there. Remember, PT programs aren't that large: a lecture hall, a lab, a clinic, faculty offices, but not much more. I don't know what you were expecting. The secretary was amicable and courteous, and I thanked her for giving me the time to see the school, which is beautiful by the way.

Yes $1000 is a lot. Most schools require $500 and give you at least two weeks to send the deposit. But I don't think $1000 is outrageous, and NOVA SE probably is not the only program to demand such a large sum as a down payment.

I'm just asking you all to please consider that the staff might have a tremendous case load that exceeds their ability to answer applicants promptly and thoroughly.

Kevin

Is the nova hybrid program accredited yet?

Nova is not awful and neither is the traffic or the area .@ Snowbird it is University Dr not Ave so you may not know area as well as you think. It is a safe although yes busy area but it is a very nice campus within close proximity to the beach , downtown FT Lauderdale and Miami

Nova , however ( just in my opinion) is overpriced for an "okay" school( academically) which is why most Florida residents who can get in elsewhere do so.
Nova is the same cost as University of Miami and in my opinion UM beats it by miles .

The in state schools for Florida tuition offer a much more viable option with PT departments that are far more welcoming and many with terrific programs literally costing thousands less

I suspect that many entering Nova are not from the area but nevertheless, it is an accredited program that has graduated good physical therapists
Good luck all

Nova is not awful and neither is the traffic or the area .@ Snowbird it is University Dr not Ave so you may not know area as well as you think. It is a safe although yes busy area but it is a very nice campus within close proximity to the beach , downtown FT Lauderdale and Miami

Nova , however ( just in my opinion) is overpriced for an "okay" school( academically) which is why most Florida residents who can get in elsewhere do so.
Nova is the same cost as University of Miami and in my opinion UM beats it by miles .

The in state schools for Florida tuition offer a much more viable option with PT departments that are far more welcoming and many with terrific programs literally costing thousands less

I suspect that many entering Nova are not from the area but nevertheless, it is an accredited program that has graduated good physical therapists
Good luck all
Do you know if the Hybrid program in Tampa is accredited yet? Thanks

Not sure about the Hybrid question To be sure contact Dr Mary Blackinton Her email is [email protected] That is an important question I know the Ft Lauderdale program is not up for review until 2020 Good luck

Has anyone in this forum been accepted to the Ft. Lauderdale campus off the waitlist or know what is going on with the waitlist? It's very difficult not having any information at all.

I was on hold for Ft Lauderdale so I emailed them today. They asked if I would be interested in Tampa Hybrid so I said yes and was accepted. For those accepted to the hybrid program how do you feel about it? Do you think we'll be able to get jobs? How does financial aid work?

Yea, I have but I'm not sure where my girlfriend and I should live. South Florida can be very deceiving. East/West of certain streets are great to live while other parts aren't. How about you, any luck?

I live in Miami and I never see any violent crime here.

I don't want to sound racist, but as long as you live within a Hispanic neighborhood, you will never have a problem.