Admitting as inpatient psychiatrist, someone who is in process of filing a lawsuit against you.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notlucid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working as inpatient psychiatrist in remote location. A patient has filed multiple grievances and has threatened to file a lawsuit. But that patient wants to be admitted under me and refuses transfer to another facility from ER.
Can I refuse admission giving the reason that I cant ethically care for that person.

Members don't see this ad.

I would contact your medical legal / compliance department ASAP and get a response in writing from them via email, so you have some documented correspondence either way.

Reactions: 7 users
Typically a doctor can refuse to treat a patient all-things-being-equal. The problem is complicated if you're the only person in the area and you are working in a place that serves as the location's inpatient psych unit and there's no other places. Now there's something I got no idea on. As mentioned above I'd call the hospital's lawyer.

If there's another psychiatrist that also covers inpatient then the management could make the other doctor take that patient. Another thing you can do is consider filing for a restraining order and this would force the hospital to not make you work with the patient but you must have legitimate cause for such a request and you'd likely have to get your own lawyer for that one and not the hospital lawyer. (Wow this could be a landmark case! Only psychiatrist in the county has a restraining order against the patient, so the hospital can't the doc treat the patient but at the same time there's no one else to treat the patient!?!?!)

There's lots of things where training won't teach you what to do that I've encountered. E.g. A suicidal patient in my office, I call emergency services, and then the police arrive and refuse to take the patient even though the patient meets the legal requirements for the police to have to take the person. (Hey the police don't know the law in general, just like a lot of lawyers don't know a lot of the laws in general).

Or patient is seeing another doctor for a physical problem, and the other doctor clearly isn't doing their job, and the patient can't simply get another doctor, and you the psychiatrist know enough about the situation to know the other doctor isn't doing their job, but not enough to intervene and treat the physical problem.

Or police dump a patient into the ER that's clearly not mentally ill but say he's mentally ill to dump the patient onto you so they don't have to write up an arrest report.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the nature of their grievance? Is it utter nonsense or something you are actually liable for? What are they trying leverage from you? Substances? Respect? What is their state of mind? Psychotic/manic? Cluster B? Addicted?

Inpatients threaten lawsuits and file grievances all the time. Most of the time they are just acting out. I remember one patient who filed a grievance against me, so I asked to see the paperwork. I pointed out the sections they forgot to fill out, and they thanked me, and we all had a good laugh.

Clearly you have an impact on this patient that they feel the need to act out and run back to you. I would argue it may be beneficial for all parties if you see them, as long as there are no real threats of violence or actual malpractice from your part.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you whopper and candidate2017. Cluster B diagnosis. Just general non specific complaints about side effects. Discrimination on basis of anything possible.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I agree with contacting your legal department and making them aware of the issue. If there are other attendings available, I would absolutely transfer the patient to someone else's care regardless of the patient's preferences. That isn't a difficult decision to justify IMO.