ADN Nurse to ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ralegen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Same 'ol discussion I'm sure, but what would you guys/gals suggest?

I barely started a two year ADN program (going on 2nd semester). I already have the desire to pursue further degrees; however, I don't know which route to really take anymore.

Should I pursue a BSN degree (which leads to other Nursing MA programs), or should I keep my ADN degree and work on a different major (e.g. biology, physiology, etc) for the pre-med requirements?

Basically, it boils down to the question, "Should I go the MD/OD or CRNA/NP route?"

I'm lost, and I hope some of you out there with some experience on similiar scenerios can help.

Members don't see this ad.

How much autonomy do you want? Would you be happy as a mid-level provider, or do you want to be a physician? NPs have a fair amount of independence in many states, but the politics can be a sticky matter (search the innumerable threads here on that matter).

Maybe you should shadow an NP & PA, then shadow a doc (did you mean DO or were you really meaning you were thinking of being an optometrist). That might give you a better perspective.

I will say that it's hard to make that call when you're only in your second semester. You have just barely scratched the surface. You never know, you may very well find your niche later on. My advice would be to relax a little for the moment. It's not time to worry yet.

adn to pa is a fairly common pathway. lots of those in my class.

Thank you for your replies. Your statements have helped me, but I guess I will have to research and/or shadow as suggested.