ADN or BSN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeapharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a BBA degree...I am thinking about nursing but I tried to call a hospital to shadow a nurse and have not had any luck

Well since I have a degree would it be best for me to get a BSN or ADN/RN

If I get a ADN/RN I can do a bridge to an BSN and then get my MSN..My main goal is to teach or get a gov't job as a nurse

Help me out which route would be best

Members don't see this ad.

wannabeapharm said:
I have a BBA degree...I am thinking about nursing but I tried to call a hospital to shadow a nurse and have not had any luck

Well since I have a degree would it be best for me to get a BSN or ADN/RN

If I get a ADN/RN I can do a bridge to an BSN and then get my MSN..My main goal is to teach or get a gov't job as a nurse

Help me out which route would be best

First off, I would like to stay I am a junior nursing student at Michigan State Univeristy and I will graduate in May 2007 -- and I wish I knew what I know now. But as for your question -- It depends on so many variables - the waitlists of programs in your area, financial aid, can you do your BSN program in 3 years?(I am), most RNs I know take 3 years to finish an ADN when it comes down to fitting in pre-reqs etc. Personally though, if I had to do it again... I would get my ADN. Then finish off my bachelors in science-related field, such as biology, human biology, or physiology -- although I do admit RN-BSN programs are much easier to fit into the working life of a RN as many courses are online. While finishing my BS, I would work as a nurse (ideally, 3 12's) and apply to a direct-admit master's program (as in no BSN required, many are popping up all across the U.S.). In my limited experiences and from discussions with other RNs, this is the fastest and least expensive route to become a master's prepared nurse. However, if there's an university out there offering you full tuition for that BSN, go for it! Like I said, there's so many factors. But if you're area is anything like mine, it's the general rule that the new graduate ADN nurses are MORE prepared (specifically in technical skills) than the BSN nurses. As for the shadowing, try getting a volunteer position - often they are more willing to let their volunteers shadow. Most volunteer positions require you volunteer 3-4 hours week. It's a great experience and will make your application to nursing school a lot stronger!

What just realized reading your post--- you might just want to finish your science pre-reqs, since as a business major, I'm assuming you don't have the anatomy, physiology, chemistry, biology, etc. And do a 12-month accelerated BSN program. But be warned these programs are a full-time job in themselves.. They also have similiar direct-admit MSN programs like this..