Adobe Acrobat for PDF files

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KidDoc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all...this is my first time posting. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice regarding how to use Adobe Acrobat 4.0 (full version) to fill in secondaries that are PDF files?

I know other posters have alluded to doing just that in the past...and I'd appreciate the help very much. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is both simple and complex ;)

Simple:
If the school was nice enough to include text fields in the *.PDF file, you can point and click on the entry line and enter you information.

Complex:
If you are unable to enter data into the PDF file, things get a bit tougher. There are many ways to fill these out so experimentation is your best bet. Here is what I did.

1: Print the PDF
2: Start a word doc and use text boxes removing all outlines in the box (the reason for this is so you can move the boxes around when you get ready to print)
3: Approximate where each text box belongs on the word doc.
4: Print the word doc on a blank paper.
5: Overlay the word doc on the PDF & hold up to the light.
6: Make any adjustments by moving the text boxes around.
7: Repeat steps 3-6 until perfect.
8: Load the PDF into your printer.
9: Print the word doc onto the PDF form in your printer.
10: You may need to print another blank PDF and perform some final tweeking.

This is a royal pain, but it does work and looks professional.

Another method...

Acrobat uses "Forms Fields" to add text to its document. The button is between the "Crop" and "Touchup Text" tools on the tool bar. Clicking on the "Form tool" button switches you into form mode and let you create boxes where you want to type in your text later on. After you have created your form boxes, switch back to normal mode by clicking on the "hand tool" button and start filling in the forms you have created earlier. Moving between boxes with the Tab key or with the mouse. Be aware that the form fields must be formated (font face, size, etc.) in the form mode before you start typing in your text. Formating the fields after typing in your text will erase all text already filled in. Undoubtedly, you might save your document many times. Use the "save as" command to save your document after a few times of using the "save" command to reduce file size. When sending to printer, make sure you choose "optimize for print." This will give you sharper text than normal. Have fun with Acrobat, one of the best softwares ever made!

Thanks for your helpful replies! I really do appreciate it..and will proceed to experiment with Acrobat. :)