advance practice psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

See new Sticky in psychology forum!! We welcome your opinions either way..

z mod

Members don't see this ad.

psisci said:
Sat and listened to an Effexor-paid psychiatrist at the medical staff CME talk today...ate my paid for sandwich, and watched all the GPs and midlevels gobble up why Effexor is the panacea in psychiatry. After.....most of the staff and I had along discussion about WHY people get sucked into doing this. $$$$. Bad science. I prompted a gutsy PA to ask her (psych) about GPCRs, and the current thought on second messengers in general with antidepressants etc. She said "I am not practicing clinical medicine, so what is a GPCR?" I kept my trap shut, but when the mtg was over went to chat with her about g-protein coupled receptors in a very friendly way. She was very nice, and a GOOD psychiatrist, but did not know what is going on with GPCR research in regards to psychopharm. I agreed with 99% of her talk, but to not know ABOUT GPCR research is scarey...... :eek:

GPCR...pfft soooo step 1.

psisci said:
Sat and listened to an Effexor-paid psychiatrist at the medical staff CME talk today...ate my paid for sandwich, and watched all the GPs and midlevels gobble up why Effexor is the panacea in psychiatry. After.....most of the staff and I had along discussion about WHY people get sucked into doing this. $$$$. Bad science. I prompted a gutsy PA to ask her (psych) about GPCRs, and the current thought on second messengers in general with antidepressants etc. She said "I am not practicing clinical medicine, so what is a GPCR?" I kept my trap shut, but when the mtg was over went to chat with her about g-protein coupled receptors in a very friendly way. She was very nice, and a GOOD psychiatrist, but did not know what is going on with GPCR research in regards to psychopharm. I agreed with 99% of her talk, but to not know ABOUT GPCR research is scarey...... :eek:

quit showing off your research background Psisci!!! :laugh: :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just trying to get something going for the new sticky......

Chill sazi. In no way was I bashing psychiatrists. I was just making a point about a paid speaker who did not know what a GPCR was. I know this is 101 stuff for psychiatrists in training now, but this woman was trained probably 30 years ago....just weird I thought. You know I am not a basher. I just want to stir up some lively conversation even if we disagree. You and totally disgree but we don't bash each other.

:)

I am officially not getting involved :p see I'm so good ;)

psisci said:
See new Sticky in psychology forum!! We welcome your opinions either way..

z mod

Why even post this here (except for the obvious)? Do we post our announcements in your or the other med forums?

OK I will answer your provoking ? because I have one. I asked in the MOD forum if we could have a subforum for "medical psychology", as many have asked for it and it is one of the two biggest topics. DrMOM said OK, but then advised me to form a sticky first, and see how it goes. I was hoping to consolidate the scattered conversations on the psychology, psychiatry and midlevel forums on "medical psychology" to one place, and by doing so was letting you know.....
It is friday, and I am tired of beating my head against this wall. Do what you want.