Advanced Degree During Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhilDunphy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if many programs are receptive to residents pursuing advanced degrees (MPH, MBA, Master's Clinical Research, etc) related to their research, either as part of a 2+2 program or an additional year on the 3 year path?

I found something like this on Penn's website, but I wonder how common it might be elsewhere. Thanks!

http://www.med.upenn.edu/dermres/combined_research_clinical_training.html

Members don't see this ad.

Off the top of my head I know Miami offers a 3+1 and also a separate track for someone interested in getting a PhD during residency.

Reactions: 1 user
There are 2+2 type Derm programs, by I don't know of any besides the one above that allow you to get an extra degree during that time. I'm sure they'll tell you about the option if you get an interview at that institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. More trying decide whether to pursue a second degree now while in med school when it's logistically more convenient vs later in my training when it's likely more applicable/clear how I would use it (at least, that's how it has been framed by other folks who have gone through the process). If most residency programs do not support it, going for it now might make more sense.

Thanks for the replies. More trying decide whether to pursue a second degree now while in med school when it's logistically more convenient vs later in my training when it's likely more applicable/clear how I would use it (at least, that's how it has been framed by other folks who have gone through the process). If most residency programs do not support it, going for it now might make more sense.

I would probably recommend going for it now in medical school. I would surmise most residency programs wouldn't support it.

Reactions: 1 users
plus, you have no time to be getting another degree during residency