Advanced Fellowship Application Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Staghorn90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just matched into general cards fellowship and intend to apply for interventional eventually, however, I was wondering what the typical timeline is for advanced fellowship application (e.g. at start of PGY5 vs PGY6)?

Most interventional fellowship websites just mention after completion of general cards fellowship. The application for the interventional positions offered by the cards program at my residency are done at the start of PGY5, which seems early and as though it could be atypical.

Currently in the process of figuring out housing and knowing when I could potentially have to move again could help my decision.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Just matched into general cards fellowship and intend to apply for interventional eventually, however, I was wondering what the typical timeline is for advanced fellowship application (e.g. at start of PGY5 vs PGY6)?

Most interventional fellowship websites just mention after completion of general cards fellowship. The application for the interventional positions offered by the cards program at my residency are done at the start of PGY5, which seems early and as though it could be atypical.

Currently in the process of figuring out housing and knowing when I could potentially have to move again could help my decision.

Thanks in advance!
Application is December of second year fellowship for outside positions. Match is not NRMP so you can accept position as soon as its offered. However you would start after completion of the 3 year fellowship so Im not sure how application timeline would impact your housing decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Application is December of second year fellowship for outside positions. Match is not NRMP so you can accept position as soon as its offered. However you would start after completion of the 3 year fellowship so Im not sure how application timeline would impact your housing decision.
Thank you so much for your response! It could affect housing since my fellowship is in a low COL area and I was considering buying instead of renting, especially since I'll be in a city that I would want to live long term.

Now that I know applications are second year, it definitely tips my hand away from buying until after advanced fellowship apps (at the soonest) in case I have to move (but hoping that is not the case).

Thanks again!