1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Advanced standing programs??

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by h.appenis, Aug 15, 2015.

1. h.appenis

Dental Student
    Hello guys,

I'm a dental student from Asia, and I'm strongly considering practicing dentistry in the US.

I'm wondering that it will make big difference in practicing if I will do an internship and residency directly without finishing 2 years of advanced standing programs.

#1 h.appenis, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. oralcare123

7+ Year Member

It depends in which state you plan to practice in. Some people want to do DDS/DMD to be free in their choices

4. h.appenis

Dental Student
    Thank you for your answer.

I would like to practice in Washington state, and it does not require DDS or DMD to be licensed if I will have completed a residency program.

I really don't want to spend additional 2 years because of my age, but I'm worried about how patients are thinking about a foreign educated dentist.

5. oralcare123

7+ Year Member

No one wants it, even without age problem, because of the high cost. I never even tried applying into residency, because it seemed to have higher competition, then 2 year program. I do not have enough experience to give you a proper advise