1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Advanced standing programs??

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by h.appenis, Aug 15, 2015.

1. h.appenis

Dental Student
    Hello guys,

I'm a dental student from Asia, and I'm strongly considering practicing dentistry in the US.

I'm wondering that it will make big difference in practicing if I will do an internship and residency directly without finishing 2 years of advanced standing programs.

#1 h.appenis, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  2. oralcare123

7+ Year Member

It depends in which state you plan to practice in. Some people want to do DDS/DMD to be free in their choices

3. h.appenis

Dental Student
    Thank you for your answer.

I would like to practice in Washington state, and it does not require DDS or DMD to be licensed if I will have completed a residency program.

I really don't want to spend additional 2 years because of my age, but I'm worried about how patients are thinking about a foreign educated dentist.

4. oralcare123

7+ Year Member

No one wants it, even without age problem, because of the high cost. I never even tried applying into residency, because it seemed to have higher competition, then 2 year program. I do not have enough experience to give you a proper advise