Advanced standing programs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

h.appenis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm a dental student from Asia, and I'm strongly considering practicing dentistry in the US.

I'm wondering that it will make big difference in practicing if I will do an internship and residency directly without finishing 2 years of advanced standing programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends in which state you plan to practice in. Some people want to do DDS/DMD to be free in their choices

It depends in which state you plan to practice in. Some people want to do DDS/DMD to be free in their choices

Thank you for your answer.

I would like to practice in Washington state, and it does not require DDS or DMD to be licensed if I will have completed a residency program.

I really don't want to spend additional 2 years because of my age, but I'm worried about how patients are thinking about a foreign educated dentist.

No one wants it, even without age problem, because of the high cost. I never even tried applying into residency, because it seemed to have higher competition, then 2 year program. I do not have enough experience to give you a proper advise