Advanced vs Categorical

Started by GMO2003
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GMO2003

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have already completed a transitional year internship I want to start my PGY-2 in July 2007. Do I apply for categorical or advanced positions? I will not be realeased from active duty until 2007 coinciding well before the start date of June/July 2007. Please advise...thanks

I understand that categorical positions require a pre-liminary clinical year. I already completed it. So can I technically apply now for a PGY 2 spot to start in 2007 now instead of applying next year for an advanced PGY 2 spot to start the same year?
 
GMO2003 said:
I have already completed a transitional year internship I want to start my PGY-2 in July 2007. Do I apply for categorical or advanced positions? I will not be realeased from active duty until 2007 coinciding well before the start date of June/July 2007. Please advise...thanks

I understand that categorical positions require a pre-liminary clinical year. I already completed it. So can I technically apply now for a PGY 2 spot to start in 2007 now instead of applying next year for an advanced PGY 2 spot to start the same year?

anybody??
 
GMO2003 said:
I understand that categorical positions require a pre-liminary clinical year. I already completed it. So can I technically apply now for a PGY 2 spot to start in 2007 now instead of applying next year for an advanced PGY 2 spot to start the same year?

Yes, that's what you should do. If you wait for another year, the PGY-2 spots will have been gone in the match the year before. Remember that people apply for their PGY1 and PGY-2 years in the same match. You don't need the PGY-1 year, but you do have to match to the PGY-2 spot about a year and a half earlier. If you are lucky and can find an open PGY-2 spot for 2006, theny you can skip the match altogether and save a year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Docxter said:
Yes, that's what you should do. If you wait for another year, the PGY-2 spots will have been gone in the match the year before. Remember that people apply for their PGY1 and PGY-2 years in the same match. You don't need the PGY-1 year, but you do have to match to the PGY-2 spot about a year and a half earlier. If you are lucky and can find an open PGY-2 spot for 2006, they you can skip the match altogether and save a year.


you're the man Doxter 👍 So basically apply only to categorical positions not advanced, correct?
 
My husband was in a similar circumstance as you. He finished his PGY1 already and has been active duty for 3 or 4 years now. He applied for PGY2 spots last November and matched this year to start a PGY 2 radiology spot in July 2006. he only applied to advanced positions NOT categorical.
 
GMO2003 said:
you're the man Doxter 👍 So basically apply only to categorical positions not advanced, correct?

No. Advanced positions are the PGY-2 positions.
 
GMO2003 said:
you're the man Doxter 👍 So basically apply only to categorical positions not advanced, correct?

Apply for the ADVANCED position (PGY2 only).


Categorical includes a PGY1 position with the PGY2 position.
 
Harbster said:
Apply for the ADVANCED position (PGY2 only).


Categorical includes a PGY1 position with the PGY2 position.

ok..so applying to a advanced position this summer will be for a PGY2 spot in 2007 not 2006...correct? god..this is confusing
 
GMO2003 said:
ok..so applying to a advanced position this summer will be for a PGY2 spot in 2007 not 2006...correct? god..this is confusing

Correct, applying for an advanced position (PGY2) this summer of 2005 will give you a PGY2 position in July of 2007.
 
deschutes said:
Yeah you gotta listen to the Harb! He's got his ducks in a row. 😉

The Canadian Wonder speaks!!!
Last I recall, I was an excedrin tablet short of a full medicine cabinet. 😉