Advantage to Training at a Big 3 Institution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

excalibur86

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Recently matched applicant here to a good program (not Harvard, MSKCC, or MDA). I interviewed at a few of those places and was just curious...what advantage does one gain by training there? Better job opportunities? Better academic and private practice training? Better research or clinical training? Are the top jobs in the nation usually offered to their graduates before grads of other programs? Just curious, since I'm interested in going into academics. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Outside of select PPs in really large metros (again, I've only heard this anecdotally), it doesn't matter at all for PP imo.

Not the same for academics I imagine, I'll let the academic guys chime in

Last edited:
MDACC gets you a pretty much guaranteed position at one of their expanding network of satellites or affiliates (not really academic). Some of the big name academic places care about the name of where you trained. Some don't care that much. Some PPs care about the name of where you trained. Some PPs have a bias against big name grads for being prima donnas or whatever.

I think the job market is very regional--doing residency a particular place helps open up that area. IMO, that's more important than the name of the place where you trained. Though in some places like California, training there may not be enough to get you a job on the coast.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the private practice setting, whenever I see a grad from the top three applying for a spot, it perks up my antennae. Definitely, I think, it gets their foot in the door. However, once in, they are subjected to the same scrutiny as any other candidate.

Also, as noted above, there is regional bias. No matter how good someone is, if they can't spin a compelling narrative about living the Bay Area long term then they are bumped out of the running.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I agree with GFunk. Training at a "big name" instution will help get an interview/interest, etc. I wouldn't limit it to 3, however. There are ~10 or so places I would consider top-tier enough to pique my interest.

Hi all. Recently matched applicant here to a good program (not Harvard, MSKCC, or MDA). I interviewed at a few of those places and was just curious...what advantage does one gain by training there? Better job opportunities? Better academic and private practice training? Better research or clinical training? Are the top jobs in the nation usually offered to their graduates before grads of other programs? Just curious, since I'm interested in going into academics. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

you should be relaxing and enjoying 4th year instead of asking these questions. no one can answer these questions for you. it depends on yourself.