ADvantages of 0-6 Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vanessa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My daughter is a senior in high school. She has a 3,87 GPA. She is interested in pharmacy.

Would you suggest enrolling in a 0-6 program or another program and just apply after 2 years.

We live in Michigan. She has been accepted at U of M. But as you know that program is very competive for the actual Pharm D program.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Vanessa said:
Hello,

My daughter is a senior in high school. She has a 3,87 GPA. She is interested in pharmacy.

Would you suggest enrolling in a 0-6 program or another program and just apply after 2 years.

We live in Michigan. She has been accepted at U of M. But as you know that program is very competive for the actual Pharm D program.

Any suggestions?

I am not sure if they still offer this but University of Michigan-College of Pharmacy offers what is called "preferred admission program" to high school students--it's a 7 year program where selected hs students would receive both B.S. of their choice and Pharm.D. after 7 years at U of Michigan. The advantage of this program is that the student is conditionally accepted to the U of Michigan's pharmacy school--so he or she has some freedom to take non-pharmacy related courses to explore his or her other scholarly interest...

I was accepted into this program when I was in high school but being an out of state applicant, the tuition fee was too great to deal with at that time so I decided not to pursue it (I kind of regret it now but o well...)...but since you are an in-state applicant, this program is perfect for you! I don't know if you can still apply after having been accepted to University of Michigan...but it's definitely something you can look into. U of Michigan-College of Pharmacy is an excellent institution and I highly suggest to take advantage of it.

I hope this helps...best of luck to you and your daughter.

Vanessa said:
Hello,

Any suggestions?

Living in Michigan gives you the opportunity to choose from 3 schools in state...

U of M
Wayne State
Ferris State

I am personally a first year professional student at Ferris (a P1, as they call us) so I am probably a little biased...

U of M has an early entry program, however it is limited to just 20 students, AND if you get less than a B in any prereq, you're out. You should also know that it is very difficult (READ: nearly impossible) to get into their pharmacy school w/out doing your undergrad there. Also, since U of M only takes 60 students a year, your odds are further decreased.

Wayne State only takes 90 students / year, but if you live on that side of Michigan and you can't get into U of M, it's a decent option. I personally don't care for driving in Detroit and Wayne is pretty much a commuter only campus.

Ferris has an early admission program that is associated with their honors college. Although, to be honest, the requirements for the honors students are basically the same as the regular admits. What really works in a student's favor are the numbers...Ferris takes 150 students / year and they count community college credits the same as four-year credits. This means that it is much easier to transfer in to Ferris, than say, U of M.

So, if you want to stay in state...
Ferris takes half the pharmacy students each year (150 / 300)
U of M prefers their own and only take 60 students
Wayne State is in downtown Detroit.

As far as your daughter's situation goes--If she really has her heart set on U of M, she should apply for the guaranteed program, but with only a 3.87 she probably won't get in. If she still feels she wants to go to U of M, she should go there for undergrad. In 2 years, she should apply to all 3 Michigan schools. We have people here (@ Ferris) who didn't make it into U of M's program. If she doesn't have her heart set on Michigan, Ferris's honors option is a good idea--she'd probably get in with her grades...but to be honest, I think that my personal route works pretty well.
I went to community college for the preq's and saved quite a bit over University tuition rates. And, like I said, Ferris counts comm college courses equally.

Just my two cents...

Members don't see this ad :)
I do believe they still have it. She applied for pre-pharmacy there.

redroses2006 said:
I am not sure if they still offer this but University of Michigan-College of Pharmacy offers what is called "preferred admission program" to high school students--it's a 7 year program where selected hs students would receive both B.S. of their choice and Pharm.D. after 7 years at U of Michigan. The advantage of this program is that the student is conditionally accepted to the U of Michigan's pharmacy school--so he or she has some freedom to take non-pharmacy related courses to explore his or her other scholarly interest...

I was accepted into this program when I was in high school but being an out of state applicant, the tuition fee was too great to deal with at that time so I decided not to pursue it (I kind of regret it now but o well...)...but since you are an in-state applicant, this program is perfect for you! I don't know if you can still apply after having been accepted to University of Michigan...but it's definitely something you can look into. U of Michigan-College of Pharmacy is an excellent institution and I highly suggest to take advantage of it.

I hope this helps...best of luck to you and your daughter.

Thanks for the info. She is looking at out-of-state schools. We know with her good GPA, for Michigan standards, it is not competitve. I thought they only accepted 20.

Wayne State is an option, so is Ferris. She has also look at Butler (0-6). What is your opinion on programs like that? Any advantage?

Ferris seems to have a good option. How has it been for you? For honors, what GPA must you maintain? Is the 3rd year slot guaranteed for you being Honors?

Crazy_Norwegian said:
Living in Michigan gives you the opportunity to choose from 3 schools in state...

U of M
Wayne State
Ferris State

I am personally a first year professional student at Ferris (a P1, as they call us) so I am probably a little biased...

U of M has an early entry program, however it is limited to just 20 students, AND if you get less than a B in any prereq, you're out. You should also know that it is very difficult (READ: nearly impossible) to get into their pharmacy school w/out doing your undergrad there. Also, since U of M only takes 60 students a year, your odds are further decreased.

Wayne State only takes 90 students / year, but if you live on that side of Michigan and you can't get into U of M, it's a decent option. I personally don't care for driving in Detroit and Wayne is pretty much a commuter only campus.

Ferris has an early admission program that is associated with their honors college. Although, to be honest, the requirements for the honors students are basically the same as the regular admits. What really works in a student's favor are the numbers...Ferris takes 150 students / year and they count community college credits the same as four-year credits. This means that it is much easier to transfer in to Ferris, than say, U of M.

As far as your daughter's situation goes--If she really has her heart set on U of M, she should apply for the guaranteed program, but with only a 3.87 she probably won't get in. If she still feels she wants to go to U of M, she should go there for undergrad. In 2 years, she should apply to all 3 Michigan schools. We have people here (@ Ferris) who didn't make it into U of M's program. If she doesn't have her heart set on Michigan, Ferris's honors option is a good idea--she'd probably get in with her grades...but to be honest, I think that my personal route works pretty well.
I went to community college for the preq's and saved quite a bit over University tuition rates. And, like I said, Ferris counts comm college courses equally.

Just my two cents...

Vanessa said:
Hello,

Any suggestions?

I don't know how far she would go away from home but Florida A&M university has a 6 year program and the rate of admissions for students who start at the school into the professional program is extremely high. It is very difficult to get into FAMU as a transfer, but I heard the requirements for 6 year students is only a 2.7 and NO PCAT.

Thanks,

Are you a student there now? That is a long way, but worth checking out?

DaveRX said:
I don't know how far she would go away from home but Florida A&M university has a 6 year program and the rate of admissions for students who start at the school into the professional program is extremely high. It is very difficult to get into FAMU as a transfer, but I heard the requirements for 6 year students is only a 2.7 and NO PCAT.

I currently attend Butler as a P-1 so perhaps I can give you some incite into the program. If you have questions please feel free to PM me.

St. Louis College of Pharmacy used to have the option of entering straight out of high school, I'm pretty sure they still do.

I think the decision about whether to do this type of program or not depends on how sure you're daughter is that she wants to be a pharmacist. Does she have any work experience or know anyone that is a pharmacist? I think if she's really got a good head on her shoulders and is pretty sure of what she wants to do then these programs are a good idea. However, if she is like most seniors in high school, she's really can't be sure what she wants to do at this point in her life because she is still so young. If thats the case then I think she'd be better off going to a regular college at first and that way if she did change her mind about pharmacy school she could just work towards a different degree at that school and not have to worry about transferring to a different school etc.

Vanessa said:
Thanks for the info. She is looking at out-of-state schools. We know with her good GPA, for Michigan standards, it is not competitve. I thought they only accepted 20.

Wayne State is an option, so is Ferris. She has also look at Butler (0-6). What is your opinion on programs like that? Any advantage?

Ferris seems to have a good option. How has it been for you? For honors, what GPA must you maintain? Is the 3rd year slot guaranteed for you being Honors?

Ferris has been fine for me--but I'm still in my first semester here. I really didn't have much of a choice if I wanted to stay in state. Out-of-state tuition is just ridiculous for most schools (usually twice the in-state rate, it can be 25K+/ year) and I really don't care for U of M (probably couldn't get in even if I wanted to) or Wayne (don't care for Detroit). Plus I'm from the west side of the state. As far as honors guaranteed admission goes, yes the 3rd year slot is guaranteed, and here are the conditions (I copied this from Ferris' web site).

As long as the conditions listed below are met, students are guaranteed a seat in the class in which they are eligible to enter.
Students Must:

1. Be enrolled in the pre-pharmacy Honors Program at Ferris State University and have completed the required coursework within two years.

2. Take all of their pre-pharmacy coursework at Ferris after being admitted as a freshman.

3. Earn a cumulative GPA of at least 3.50 in the science (Chemistry and Biology/Microbiology) and math (Calculus and Statistics) pre-pharmacy coursework prior to the admissions deadline.

4. Earn at least a C (2.0) in each of the science and math pre-pharmacy courses. The guarantee is void if a student earns a grade below a C (2.0) in any of the science and math pre-pharmacy courses, and successfully repeating a course does not restore the guarantee.

5. Obtain a PCAT composite score that is at the 80th percentile or above.

6. Successfully complete at least three of the four required Chemistry courses and two of the three required Biology/Microbiology courses prior to the application deadline.

7. Meet the general admissions and PCAT deadlines, and all other admissions requirements.

Crazy_Norwegian said:
Ferris has been fine for me--but I'm still in my first semester here. I really didn't have much of a choice if I wanted to stay in state. Out-of-state tuition is just ridiculous for most schools (usually twice the in-state rate, it can be 25K+/ year) and I really don't care for U of M (probably couldn't get in even if I wanted to) or Wayne (don't care for Detroit). Plus I'm from the west side of the state. As far as honors guaranteed admission goes, yes the 3rd year slot is guaranteed, and here are the conditions (I copied this from Ferris' web site).

As long as the conditions listed below are met, students are guaranteed a seat in the class in which they are eligible to enter.
Students Must:

1. Be enrolled in the pre-pharmacy Honors Program at Ferris State University and have completed the required coursework within two years.

2. Take all of their pre-pharmacy coursework at Ferris after being admitted as a freshman.

3. Earn a cumulative GPA of at least 3.50 in the science (Chemistry and Biology/Microbiology) and math (Calculus and Statistics) pre-pharmacy coursework prior to the admissions deadline.

4. Earn at least a C (2.0) in each of the science and math pre-pharmacy courses. The guarantee is void if a student earns a grade below a C (2.0) in any of the science and math pre-pharmacy courses, and successfully repeating a course does not restore the guarantee.

5. Obtain a PCAT composite score that is at the 80th percentile or above.

6. Successfully complete at least three of the four required Chemistry courses and two of the three required Biology/Microbiology courses prior to the application deadline.

7. Meet the general admissions and PCAT deadlines, and all other admissions requirements.
Wow, I think she is better off just entering as a normal student and then applying to pharmacy school like the rest of us and taking the pcat when she is ready. These programs seem a little rough.
When I was 18 I failed one class because of the stress and being confused. Alot of girls change their mind about what they want to do...When you start thinking Oh My gosh this is going to be the rest of my life. She may need a little time to explore. I took the first year and a half pre-req (which can work with just about any major) and then I did some volunteering and that really helped me. I would just have her enter college and let her take some college courses. She may find that its not for her.
Im only 22 but I find it hard for young girls coming out of high school to know exactly what they want to do. A few of my friends have (buissness majors) they knew from the start but alot of people arnt like that I dont know your daughter though. I also lost my mom at 20 in the middle of some bio and chem classes and managed to get a C in chemistry. It was so tramatic for me and it was so unexpected. You just never know what may happen in life. I had to fully support myself and that also played a factor.
:thumbup: :D

Vanessa said:
Hello,

Any suggestions?

Vanessa,

As somebody else mentioned St. Louis College of Pharmacy www.stlcop.com has a program that is 0-6. I think the current average stats for incoming freshman is somewhere around a 3.8 GPA and a 28 ACT, so I think your daughter would qualify. The nice thing about this program is that you are guaranteed to progress as long as you maintain your grades, and no PCAT is required to go from year 2 to year 3 (P1?). Tuition is a little steep at ~18K but they have freshman scholarships based on ACT/SAT that can bring it down to be competitive with state schools. UMKC, which I believe is know a 1-5 program, also has early entry similar to what had been described here for about 30 or 40 top students a year. But that would mean out of state tuition for you of course. If your daughter is sure she wants pharmacy, and is a very focused student, 6 year programs can be great.

Crazy_Norwegian said:

U of M
Wayne State
Ferris State

Just my two cents...

Being a P4 at U of M, I thought I'd comment on some points made by Crazy_Norweigan (haha, that's a funny name). I was not a preferred admit, but I did have friends who were. I applied to the pharmacy school after 2 years of undergrad at U of M and got in to pharmacy school in 2002. As far as being a Preferred Admit goes, I really believe that if you get a few grades that are less than B's, you don't get kicked out of the PA program. 4 years ago, they gave you a "warning" and gave you a few chances to bring your GPA up. Having a good relationship with the Assistant Dean is helpful, too. If your GPA is consistently below 3.0 in most of your classes, then my guess would be they would advise you to wait another year before going to pharmacy school. The rules may have changed now, but from my experience, they are pretty nice about giving their students second (and even third and fourth) chances to prove themselves.

Secondly, I don't really believe that it's impossible to get in to pharmacy school without having attended undergrad here. My class is comprised of about 65 people, more than half of which are not from U of M. We have a really good mix of kids in my class - many that have bachelors degrees and many that do not.

I can't comment on Ferris or Wayne because I actually don't know anyone there but my opinion is that they're great schools. I would say the strengths of U of M's program is that they are more geared towards clinical pharmacy (if you're into that stuff). Also the resources here are great - the medical library and the medical school are good places to learn and do some of your rotations. It really depends on what your daugther is looking for. She should try and arrange some tours or something at each of the schools, so that she can sit in on classes and meet some professors. I know that U of M does that with a lot of pre-pharm students.

My suggestion for your daugther would be to apply to the UM preferred admit program. She has nothing to lose. A 3.87 GPA is very good. Her choice of coursework matters, too, so if she took a lot of AP or advanced courses, that looks better than a 3.87 in non-advanced courses. If she does not get accepted to the PA program, it's no big loss. She can apply for the pharmacy school after 2 years. At least it gets her name out there and it lets the COP know that she's interested. If she decides to go to UM for undergrad, she can develop a relationship with the Asst. Dean (who is very influential in getting students admitted) and things will go from there.

Anywho, I hope my 0.02 helps.

so if you already have a b.s. degree and enroll in a 0-6 school are you entering as a P3 and thus have only 3 years left?

I am confused how does it work if you have a b.s already? :confused:

so if you already have a b.s. degree and enroll in a 0-6 school are you entering as a P3 and thus have only 3 years left?

You still have to do the 4 years of pharmacy school

If i am not mistaken, 0+6 programs usually dont accept transfer students; ie. students just wanting to learn the 4 year pharmacy stuff, bypassing prereqs. 0+6 is geared for entering freshmen with no college experience, or those willing to go through an entire 6 years if they have taken previous class work

I wish I had done the 0+6 program when I graduated HS!! I would have shaved off three years, 4 years college, 1 year off, and 4 years pharm school....great option for those who are sure what they want to do, with the EXTREME competitiveness out there today!

If i am not mistaken, 0+6 programs usually dont accept transfer students; ie. students just wanting to learn the 4 year pharmacy stuff, bypassing prereqs. 0+6 is geared for entering freshmen with no college experience, or those willing to go through an entire 6 years if they have taken previous class work

I wish I had done the 0+6 program when I graduated HS!! I would have shaved off three years, 4 years college, 1 year off, and 4 years pharm school....great option for those who are sure what they want to do, with the EXTREME competitiveness out there today!

so i have my b.s. now, and i get accepted to a pharmacy school that has the 0-6 program. how many years will it take for me to graduate. considering i have completed all the prereqs required from that school to enter into the pharmd program.

You'll have to contact that school - I can't believe they haven't made that clear to you.

Personally, I have been accepted as a transfer student to Butler, a 0+6 school. I recieved a B.A. from Purdue and have completed my prereqs, so I will be entering as a P1 - meaning I have 4 years left.