advantages of a General Surgery Intern Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

air bud

I am a dog and play basketball
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the advantages of programs where you spend an entire year as a General Surgery Intern?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone comment on the advantages of programs where you spend an entire year as a General Surgery Intern?

You would really learn medicine well and how to medically manage a surgical patient. How much that benefits you in the long run would depend on where and how you choose to practice. The obvious down side is very little foot/ankle surgery your first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
If their surgery intern year was anything like my month of gen surg. I would rather do matrixectomies on my self with raw lemon peels than go through that for a whole year.

If their surgery intern year was anything like my month of gen surg. I would rather do matrixectomies on my self with raw lemon peels than go through that for a whole year.

Oh come on. You can't sit there with a straight face and tell me you don't miss draining the perirectal abcess at 3am in the ER at SGH while security is jumping on the guy in the spot next to you for trying to light up a crack pipe. :)

Oh come on. You can't sit there with a straight face and tell me you don't miss draining the perirectal abcess at 3am in the ER at SGH while security is jumping on the guy in the spot next to you for trying to light up a crack pipe. :)

1) Thanks for stirring up old memories from my residency.

2) Thanks for ruining my lunch.

3) During my residency, ER rotation was one of my first rotations and I DID have to drain a peri-anal abscess in a transvetite hooker (I've been emotionally scarred ever since that time) and can still remember that anaerobic smell. But the best part was getting in trouble because I used a "clean" room and not a special room for the procedure. As a result, the room had to be completely shut down and scrubbed, disinfected, etc., for quite some time after that disgusting thing exploded like a volcano all over the place. I've never been the same since that night.:eek:

4) During my rotation we had shooting victims brought in, and the shooter entered the ER to finish the job and emptied a couple of rounds in the E.R. As a result, bullet proof glass was installed the next day at the front desk and door to enter the "back".

5) But I DID enjoy my general surgery rotation until I got yelled at (as usual). During a procedure around a bowel, I timidly asked the surgeon if he may have nicked the bowel. He said "why would you think that genius?" I said "well sir, there is suddenly a foul smell, so I thought maybe the bowel was nicked during dissection or retraction". He said, "no you idiot, I just farted".

1) Thanks for stirring up old memories from my residency.

2) Thanks for ruining my lunch.

3) During my residency, ER rotation was one of my first rotations and I DID have to drain a peri-anal abscess in a transvetite hooker (I've been emotionally scarred ever since that time) and can still remember that anaerobic smell. But the best part was getting in trouble because I used a "clean" room and not a special room for the procedure. As a result, the room had to be completely shut down and scrubbed, disinfected, etc., for quite some time after that disgusting thing exploded like a volcano all over the place. I've never been the same since that night.:eek:

4) During my rotation we had shooting victims brought in, and the shooter entered the ER to finish the job and emptied a couple of rounds in the E.R. As a result, bullet proof glass was installed the next day at the front desk and door to enter the "back".

5) But I DID enjoy my general surgery rotation until I got yelled at (as usual). During a procedure around a bowel, I timidly asked the surgeon if he may have nicked the bowel. He said "why would you think that genius?" I said "well sir, there is suddenly a foul smell, so I thought maybe the bowel was nicked during dissection or retraction". He said, "no you idiot, I just farted".

:claps: