Advice about Application/DAT retake timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redickfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Have been an SDN reader for a long time now - love all the advice. Now I have a specific question. I am a senior in college, planning on taking a gap year after I graduate, meaning that I will be applying this upcoming cycle. I just took the DAT a couple weeks ago, and unfortunately was pretty sick during the days leading up to it, and during the exam, so did not score as high as I'd like. Actually scored below 17 in two of the sciences. Still got an 18AA, 21PAT. I plan on retaking the first week in July, but am wondering when you guys think I should send in my application. With the poor scores I have now, should I apply when the cycle opens, or wait until I retake again? I just worry that school's will look at my first and discard my app.

Any advice would help. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. Have been an SDN reader for a long time now - love all the advice. Now I have a specific question. I am a senior in college, planning on taking a gap year after I graduate, meaning that I will be applying this upcoming cycle. I just took the DAT a couple weeks ago, and unfortunately was pretty sick during the days leading up to it, and during the exam, so did not score as high as I'd like. Actually scored below 17 in two of the sciences. Still got an 18AA, 21PAT. I plan on retaking the first week in July, but am wondering when you guys think I should send in my application. With the poor scores I have now, should I apply when the cycle opens, or wait until I retake again? I just worry that school's will look at my first and discard my app.

Send the app in June with your old scores and indicate that you're retaking the DAT, send the new scores in July after you take the test. It takes a couple weeks for them to verify your transcripts for the application anyway. Plus the schools don't really review your app in June anyway so by the time your new scores some in, it should be ready to rock.

Thanks for the help. My concern, though, is that schools will look at my old scores and not wait until my new DAT scores in, which realistically (because of the slow verification and sending to AADSAS process), won't get to schools by later july/early august. Is there a place on the application to indicate a retake? Will schools wait even if I indicate a retake?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help. My concern, though, is that schools will look at my old scores and not wait until my new DAT scores in, which realistically (because of the slow verification and sending to AADSAS process), won't get to schools by later july/early august. Is there a place on the application to indicate a retake? Will schools wait even if I indicate a retake?

Yes, on the application you can indicate that you are retaking the DAT. Whether the schools will wait or not depends on the school.

Your scores don't need verification and get through AADSAS pretty quick. So you could time it pretty well if you send in your app in mid June, it gets verified around mid july and your scores should come in around the same time. And your application is still relatively early. That's what I would do.

AwesomeTeeth, do they verify your transcripts before you pay all the Application Fees?

How long did you study for the DAT?

AwesomeTeeth, do they verify your transcripts before you pay all the Application Fees?

Honestly, I don't remember. I want to say, no they don't verify it until you e-submit and pay. But I might be wrong and hopefully someone else will come along with the answer.

How long did you study for the DAT?

I studied on and off for a couple months, but then crunched out hardcore for 6 weeks. I was scoring a minimum of 19 and up on all sections of my practice exams in the two weeks leading up to the exam

Send the app in June with your old scores and indicate that you're retaking the DAT, send the new scores in July after you take the test. It takes a couple weeks for them to verify your transcripts for the application anyway. Plus the schools don't really review your app in June anyway so by the time your new scores some in, it should be ready to rock.

:thumbup: