advice about extra classes to take for pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Natty103

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have completed every prerequisite class for pharmacy school and i have my bachelors degree. I do not have the best of grades and i have taken classes over. My over all GPA is 2.6 and before i get comments about why i shouldn't even bother with pharmacy school, i do have mostly A's and B's with just a few C's in the prerequisite classes. Most of the bad grades comes from my other classes And i have a total of 140 credits which makes it very hard to raise my GPA. Once you have that many credits, forget about your GPA going up.I was thinking about enrolling back in a school to take about 3 science classes and an economics class because i dont have economics and most schools waive it but i would like to take it. I will really like my GPA to go up to 2.7 so i can apply to more schools but it seems impossible. Even if i take 16 credits and get a 4.0 this coming semester, guess what? my GPA will only go up 1. so it will go to 2.7 thats crazy!! what classes would you recommend i take? i was thinking classes i got C in when i took it... general chemistry 2, anatomy and physiology 1 and biology 1 then add the economic class. because remember science classes also comes with lab. Im retaking my PCAT again in January and im studying very hard for that as well because i need a good score on it. My target is in the 90th percentile.Also any suggested schools i should apply to would be helpful. schools that want students with bachelors degree and im also interested in accelerated programs.

Members don't see this ad.

i have completed every prerequisite class for pharmacy school and i have my bachelors degree. I do not have the best of grades and i have taken classes over. My over all GPA is 2.6 and before i get comments about why i shouldn't even bother with pharmacy school, i do have mostly A's and B's with just a few C's in the prerequisite classes. Most of the bad grades comes from my other classes And i have a total of 140 credits which makes it very hard to raise my GPA. Once you have that many credits, forget about your GPA going up.I was thinking about enrolling back in a school to take about 3 science classes and an economics class because i dont have economics and most schools waive it but i would like to take it. I will really like my GPA to go up to 2.7 so i can apply to more schools but it seems impossible. Even if i take 16 credits and get a 4.0 this coming semester, guess what? my GPA will only go up 1. so it will go to 2.7 thats crazy!! what classes would you recommend i take? i was thinking classes i got C in when i took it... general chemistry 2, anatomy and physiology 1 and biology 1 then add the economic class. because remember science classes also comes with lab. Im retaking my PCAT again in January and im studying very hard for that as well because i need a good score on it. My target is in the 90th percentile.Also any suggested schools i should apply to would be helpful. schools that want students with bachelors degree and im also interested in accelerated programs.

If you ace the pcat and apply broadly, you'll get in somewhere. But truly research where you apply. It might say a minimum of 2.5 on the website but in reality a lot of schools filter you out if you are below a 2.8.
It'll be hard because you have so many credits, trust me I understand. Retake the c classes and upper level science classes like immunology, comparative anatomy, drug related classes, anything 300+. Maybe try to get in a masters program

It is hard to get your gpa up and may take awhile but it's the route that some us have to take to get to where we want to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
With that low GPA, it will be difficult to get into pharmacy school. The only chance you'll have is if you ace the PCAT. The other thing you can do to improve your background is to fill it with extracurricular activities, specially shadowing or volunteering in a pharmacy.

I would suggest taking the classes getting A's and studying for the PCAT. That way at least you will have shown growth between now and undergraduate. Last year I was in a similar position but I just kept taking classes to raise my gpa and I am in a better position. If it takes a year or so it is not the end of the world.