Advice About Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collagen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to take time off from school for family reasons so I won't be able to graduate this year. I can graduate next December (december 2010)at the earliest or take a bunch of extra electives and graduate in May (may 2011) of next year. Which option do I choose?

When residency programs look at applications which one looks better or worse. If I graduate in December, I really don't have anything to do for a few months before residency starts but I would still technically have a 2010 graduation date. If I graduate in May I will get extra experience from the extra electives I will take during that time, and won't have to start paying back my loans, but will have a 2011 graduation date.

So I need advice from someone who's gone through this or knows about the process. My basic goal is to try to figure out which path would help me when trying to get into residency. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll bite, doesn't seem to trolly... - whichever one is cheaper for you... don't forget that if you're out of school and not yet in residency that depending on your lenders and your grace period you might get to a point that you have to start paying back your loans for a couple months before starting residency. (obviously this assuming you're a US student)...

If you graduate in December, you will definitely want to find something to do with the downtime until residency starts. You will likely be asked about it by interviewers.

A couple of thoughts:

1. It really doesn't matter if you graduate Dec 2010 or May 2011. PD's won't care much either way. They will want to know why you are off cycle, but that's the same either way.

2. I agree that cost should be an issue. Remember that if you grad Dec 2010, you could get a job (? research) and actually make a salary for a few months. Chances are your school might help you with this, so you don't have to move.

3. If you graduate Dec 2010, you do not need to participate in the match as long as you start training before Feb 2011. Thus, you'd have some chance of getting an off cycle spot to start Jan-Feb 2011. Basically, you'd apply via ERAS in Sept 2010, and mention in your PS (or your CAF) that you're looking primarily for a July 2011 spot, but if someone happens to have a spot open now you'd be happy to consider it for Jan 2011. If you grad in May, this isn't an option.

4. If you grad in May, you get to do a bunch of electives. If you plan to do clinical electives, this might be fun/helpful. If you plan a big block of research, you're probably better off graduating and getting a research assistant position -- cause it pays.