Advice about switching Anesthesia Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whosdatgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already secured a ca-1 position for the 2009 year but would like to switch. Has anyone already gone through this process and has managed to "swap" residencies with someone else? Also, how easy would it be for me if i don't have very persuasive reasons (no sig other, children, family deaths) just a genuine reason to leave the city?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am in a similar position. Would like to move to North east. Family reasons. Currently in Miami. Please respond if interested.

I am currently a PGY-2 (CA-1) here in NYC. The city has been fun, but I miss being close to my family. Not sure how difficult this process is going to be, but if anyone is interested in a possible swap or other available positions (I have family in Texas and Arizona as well) Please let me know.
Thanks and good luck to everyone...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interested in switching residencies in general for anesthesia PM me.

I am in a NJ Anesthesiology program. I'm a PGY1. Anyone in Miami interested in swapping for a NJ program? Please contact me.

Hi, I am a PGY IM in philly, would like to switch to anesthesia, anyone interested in a swab,please pm me or respond to this thread.

am interested. please pm me

Last edited:
If anyone who has a spot in Houston or Dallas is interested in switching into a CA-1 anesthesia program starting 07/09 in Philly, please let me know.

If anyone who has a spot in Houston or Dallas is interested in switching into a CA-1 anesthesia program starting 07/09 in Philly, please let me know.

Not to throw cold water on this thread, and I believe this has been discussed in the past, but do you honestly believe program directors are going to just let you trade with another resident?

To those of you who are interested in a swap, pls let me know if by chance you find a secured possibility somewhere else but are still holding on to your current positions, or if your current positions become open.
As far as the program director comment goes, I personally think it depends on the individual program directors. Some may be more receptive than others. Probably because of all the paper work involved (?).

I am interested in an anesthesia position