Advice and Tips for my PTCAS personal statement 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henhen321

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I need some help with my personal statement for PTCAS. For any DPTs or recently accepted PT students (congrats!) who can read my personal statement and give me some pointers to make it better, please let me know.

This year's prompt is:
"Reflect on a meaningful experience in your life and share how that experience influenced your personal growth, such as your attitudes or perceptions."

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Quarantine time so what the heck I'll read it if you'd like. What I will say about the PTCAS personal statement is that imo, its one of the most underrated aspects of the application ESPECIALLY if you're a "weak" candidate like me when it comes to GPA.

In such a scenario, its important to beef up everything including your personal statement in order to stand out, supplemental essays, GREs, observational hours etc.

I didnt have the best GPA but I strongly believe that these aspects along with my interviews, LORs got me into my first choice program

Hello everyone!

I need some help with my personal statement for PTCAS. For any DPTs or recently accepted PT students (congrats!) who can read my personal statement and give me some pointers to make it better, please let me know.

This year's prompt is:
"Reflect on a meaningful experience in your life and share how that experience influenced your personal growth, such as your attitudes or perceptions."

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Can you please tell me where you found the prompt for this upcoming cycle?

Sent from my SM-N975U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Quarantine time so what the heck I'll read it if you'd like. What I will say about the PTCAS personal statement is that imo, its one of the most underrated aspects of the application ESPECIALLY if you're a "weak" candidate like me when it comes to GPA.

In such a scenario, its important to beef up everything including your personal statement in order to stand out, supplemental essays, GREs, observational hours etc.

I didnt have the best GPA but I strongly believe that these aspects along with my interviews, LORs got me into my first choice program

That would be awesome! Thank you and also what is your email so I can send my rough draft over?

that has been the PTCAS question for the past two cycles so i have a feeling that it may change this year. with that being said, I would have a response in mind but wouldn’t fully draft anything up just in case it does change.

Reactions: 1 user
My PT advisor sent us an email about the updates to PTCAS for the 2021 cycle.

The personal essay prompt has been updated to be:
"Every person has a story that has led them to a career. Since there are a variety of health professions that "help" others, please go beyond your initial interaction or experiences with physical therapy, and share the deeper story that has confirmed your decision to specifically pursue physical therapy as your career."

Reactions: 6 users

"Every person has a story that has led them to a career. Since there are a variety of health professions that "help" others, please go beyond your initial interaction or experiences with physical therapy, and share the deeper story that has confirmed your decision to specifically pursue physical therapy as your career."
Thank you so much for the information. With this whole covid-19 outbreak, guess this is a great time to start brainstorming ideas for the essay.

Sent from my SM-N975U using SDN mobile

I like this. Everyone take note of the wording here- they are trying to tell you that they don't want any more "I went to physical therapy and it changed my life and I want to help people, too!" essays.

For myself, I focused on my experience as a martial artist and how the intricacies of movement fascinate me. You don't have to copy me, but try to veer from the above. They hear it in every essay, and an essay that stands out among those has a real chance.

No matter what the prompt is, remember to keep the focus on yourself. Use the essay to highlight your good qualities, and don't spend the whole time describing the PT you shadowed or the patient you saw.

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Recently accepted DPT student. I spent a whole lot of time writing my essay (we had the same prompt last cycle) and I think the biggest feedback I got from everyone who read my essay is focus on WHY that experience or person influenced your growth and thinking. Mine was not related to physical therapy at all but in the end, I tied it back to why I want to be a PT so don't worry if you want to write about something that is not related to PT or even healthcare, and if you think something is cliche, it probably is.

As someone else stated above, this part of the application is very underrated, esp for colleges that don't require supplemental essays, this is the only way to make your voice shine in your an authentic and creative way. And if you are worried that another aspect of your application is a bit weak, the essay can help balance that out.

I would love to read over your draft and give my (rather unqualified) feedback.