Advice Appreciated on Future Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bc0167

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
University: Large Texas University

Major: Kinesiology Psych Minor

Overall: 3.22
Pre-req: 3.34
GRE: 150Q 154V 4.0

Extracurricular: Undergrad PT club VP, Player/Coach Quidditch, Group Leader - The Big Event - Nations Largest Student-lead Community Improvement Event, Volunteer - Special Olympics

Volunteer Hours: Inpatient (12), Outpatient (81)

Employment: Student Library Assistant, Counselor - After School Program.

Applied: (October 2017) AT Still, Marshall, University of Mary, and Western Kentucky.

Interview: Marshall.
Waitlist:
Denied: Marshall, University of Mary.
Accepted:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Due to Texas being very competitive and having lower GPA, my goal was to apply selectively to out-of-state programs. Regret not getting more apps in for October deadline (my goal was 10-15).

Eventually applied to numerous schools with later deadlines -
South College, UTSA Austin, Wingate, Plymouth, Baylor.

Interviewed South College (2/15/2018). Email this week stated app should hear something before 3/24/2018.

I graduate in May. My plan is to retake Biology II (my only C on transcript) at Community College in Summer I. I strongly expect to bring this to an A. This would give a Pre-Req of 3.522

My plan would to then apply to Texas schools which replace grades, along with re-apply to Marshall and other out-of-state which replace grades.

My plans are to then retake one additional pre-req B to bring to an A in Summer II. This would bring my pre-req GPA to a 3.6. Not for sure how practical it will be to get this grade in before deadlines.

I would really appreciate any thoughts and advice on this route. Has anyone accomplished this same route? Any specific suggestions for programs to apply to that replace grades?

Thanks ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
University: Large Texas University

Major: Kinesiology Psych Minor

Overall: 3.22
Pre-req: 3.34
GRE: 150Q 154V 4.0

Extracurricular: Undergrad PT club VP, Player/Coach Quidditch, Group Leader - The Big Event - Nations Largest Student-lead Community Improvement Event, Volunteer - Special Olympics

Volunteer Hours: Inpatient (12), Outpatient (81)

Employment: Student Library Assistant, Counselor - After School Program.

Applied: (October 2017) AT Still, Marshall, University of Mary, and Western Kentucky.

Interview: Marshall.
Waitlist:
Denied: Marshall, University of Mary.
Accepted:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Due to Texas being very competitive and having lower GPA, my goal was to apply selectively to out-of-state programs. Regret not getting more apps in for October deadline (my goal was 10-15).

Eventually applied to numerous schools with later deadlines -
South College, UTSA Austin, Wingate, Plymouth, Baylor.

Interviewed South College (2/15/2018). Email this week stated app should hear something before 3/24/2018.

I graduate in May. My plan is to retake Biology II (my only C on transcript) at Community College in Summer I. I strongly expect to bring this to an A. This would give a Pre-Req of 3.522

My plan would to then apply to Texas schools which replace grades, along with re-apply to Marshall and other out-of-state which replace grades.

My plans are to then retake one additional pre-req B to bring to an A in Summer II. This would bring my pre-req GPA to a 3.6. Not for sure how practical it will be to get this grade in before deadlines.

I would really appreciate any thoughts and advice on this route. Has anyone accomplished this same route? Any specific suggestions for programs to apply to that replace grades?

Thanks ahead of time.

Hi, I am a graduating 3rd year from Marshall University. If I were you I would avoid South College like the plague. In my opinion its an expensive and unproven experiment for PT schooling. Their first time pass rate is 67%, the national average is 92%. Their program length is one year shorter than a traditional program and it is partially online which totally eliminates opportunities to really immerse yourself in learning with faculty and other classmates. Their anatomy is online and in my opinion there is no substitution for holding a muscle or tracking a nerve with your fingers. PT School is not about passing, it's about becoming a clinician.

I can't speak to other program requirements but I can speak to Marshall's requirements. Your application is awarded a numerical score based on multiple GPA's, GRE, and other admission requirements. GPA and GRE are the most heavily weighted, in that order. Retake anything less than a B and if you don't have an A in anatomy/physiology I would retake those courses too. Make sure your recommendations are strong. I would also try to get more inpatient/SNF hours and employment in the rehab profession as an aide, even if it's just temporary.

New PTCAS Essay Question for 2018-2019!

Consider these schools:

Shenandoah University, AT Still University, CSU Northridge, East Tennessee State University, Emory & Henry College, Governors State University, MGHIHP, Regis University, Bellarmine University, South College, Tennessee State University, University of Arkansas Medical Sciences, University of Mary, High Point University, William Carey University, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, University of Saint Augustine San Marcos

Also, the most important apply early. I submitted everything by August 10th.

Thanks, both of you, for the replies. Very helpful information.